Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Srikarnandan7
Helper I
Helper I

Global Filter for all reports

Hi Team,

I have 3 different sources (Source 1, Source 2 and Source 3). I have created multiple visuals in one page using these 3 sources.

When I create a drop down filter from Source 3, it filters the visuals which were build from Source 3. My requirement is when I select a value in Drop down all the visuals should get filtered irrespective of the source. Is it possible in Power BI.

Thanks,

Srikar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Srikarnandan7 you need to have a table  with the column you trying to join on, that has unique values, so if you have multiple values of that column in both tables, you need to build a new table with only the unique values of the decription, build and build a relationship from both those tables to that table

alternatively if both those tables are the same structure and content you can just append one on top of the other in power query or do a union in dax.   depends on the data which is hard to tell with the info you given

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
sushmasushma
Helper I
Helper I

Hiiii 

I have 1 source and i have created 3 visuals means 3 page in power BI for only one source.In first page i have so many filters if i work any one filter its working  in first page itself but its not working in remaining pages.plz suggest me

Thanks in advance

sushmasushma
Helper I
Helper I

How to use Global Filters plz suggest me

Thanks

Hi Sushma,

I'm suggesting this as per my above experience:

If you are using multiple different sources then 

1. You need to have the same field (Ex: Country) exist in all the sources and make a join on the filed Country. Drag the field Country in filter section so that it will filter all the visuals on the page as there is a join defined on this field across multiple sources. 

OR

2. If you do not have same field exist in all the sources then create a table in Power BI (Modelling Menu-->Enter Data)with required values in a column as shown below and then make a join between newly created table and existing tables in different sources

Untitled.png

@Srikarnandan7   i have one field country i added that field in all sources but its not joining?

Can you please create a static table with one column 'Country' and add the countries in that column.

Make sure the 'Country' field has unique values in it and then join.

This is something similar to what I posted in my previous post. Please look at the screenshot in my previous post.

As u told i done its joined the table but its not working.

Thanks

Thank you so much 

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

@Srikarnandan7 can you show me what your data looks like?

effectively you need a bridge table that links the 3 source together

ie

screen shot of the relationship view

examples of what you want to filter by

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Hi @vanessafvg

Sorry for the delayed response..

I tried to join the tables to have global filter, but shows me the message 'You cannot create the relationship between these columns becasue one of the columns must have unique values.'

I would like to take a moment to explain the type of data I have.

I do have 2 tables. Lets say Table 1 from Source1 and Table 2 from Source 2

Table1 has a description column with data like 'XXXX-UK-XXXX', Table2 also has the description column 'XXXX-UK-XXXXX'.

Now I extract the Region from above 2 description fields which will be UK, US.

Now I wanted to apply the filter 'Region' to all of the visuals, but it shows me the above message when I tried to join.

Please suggest

@Srikarnandan7 you need to have a table  with the column you trying to join on, that has unique values, so if you have multiple values of that column in both tables, you need to build a new table with only the unique values of the decription, build and build a relationship from both those tables to that table

alternatively if both those tables are the same structure and content you can just append one on top of the other in power query or do a union in dax.   depends on the data which is hard to tell with the info you given

Hi @vanessafvg

I have created a new table as you suggested with unique value..it worked as expected. Thans much for the help

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.