Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JoeRobert06
Helper II
Helper II

[Glitch] :: Evaluation Context / Ad-hoc highlighting / Oct. 2018 Release

Support / Community,

I have noticed that I have lost the ability to hold an evaluation context when using bookmarks to toggle between visualizations on the same page. For example if I was to select a bar on a bar chart and switch between visuals, the selected context goes back to the original state. “Data” is unchecked under data properties and so I am not sure why I’m seeing this response. 

See below screenshots as reference. Screenshot #1 is showing that I have established an evaluation context by selecting a bar on one of my visualizatino and you can see the filter propogate throughout the model to the other visualizations. Screenshot #2 is showing me hidding the left visualization from the selectino pane and screenshot #3 is showing the result. The original context of 408 employees is established and the visualization on the right hand side is reset as well. I used this technique very frequently prior to the oct release so any assistance to this is appreciated. I originally thought this has something to do with the bookmarks but now I am not so sure. Thanks in advance!

Screenshot #1Screenshot #1Screenshot #2Screenshot #2Screenshot #3Screenshot #3

Screenshot #4Screenshot #4

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

As a follow-up, i facilitated a skype meeting with the Power BI support team to showcase an example of what I perceive to be a regression in Power BI and i think it went well. The team fully understands the constraints around ad-hoc highlighting across a single page report and the ability to build an evaluation context using bookmarked (hidden visuals). The support team spoke with the development team and it was communicated to me that this is indeed default behavior moving forward. For those of you who have experienced this same challenge and would like the product development team to take action, please navigate to the Idea post below to vote and provide feedback. Thanks for the support

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/36024844-ad-hoc-highlighting-and-...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @JoeRobert06,

In current desktop release, it looks like a default behavior that hiding the visual would deselect the selection in that visual and all other related visuals would remove the filters. Unfortunately, there is no direct way to change this behavior.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks @v-yulgu-msft (Yuliana Gu) for the response. I would like to know if this default behavior is by design or a mistake with the Oct 2018 release. I rely on this functionality to give my users the ability to build a context as they navigate through the reports. I simiply have too much information to visualize on a single canvas and so if I do not have the ability to hold a context, I will have to redesign my reports differently and instruct my users to refer  back to a slicer pane for "hardcoding" a filter context. If you can give me the contact information for someone on the product development team or advise me on how to get an answer to my question above, i would greatly appreciate this!

Thanks in advance!

bump again

I have reached out to a few exchange groups and have not been able to get an anwser as to whether this change was made as apart of the design or a mistake by the devleopers. In my opinion, I feel like this change is limiting the functionality of the application and forcing "non-computer" savvy users to utilize the visualizations/field panes. A good portion of my customers within my organization are not familiar with Power BI and prefer to never use the visualizations/field pane.... in fact they are more intimidated that anything else. Telling something to ctrl+click when using the report is simplier than having someone navigate to the fields pane, select the appropriate table/column and drop in the visualizations/filter pane.

As a follow-up, i facilitated a skype meeting with the Power BI support team to showcase an example of what I perceive to be a regression in Power BI and i think it went well. The team fully understands the constraints around ad-hoc highlighting across a single page report and the ability to build an evaluation context using bookmarked (hidden visuals). The support team spoke with the development team and it was communicated to me that this is indeed default behavior moving forward. For those of you who have experienced this same challenge and would like the product development team to take action, please navigate to the Idea post below to vote and provide feedback. Thanks for the support

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/36024844-ad-hoc-highlighting-and-...

JoeRobert06
Helper II
Helper II

Bump

Has anyone noticed this change? A few colleagues within my organization are seeing this same response.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.