Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ghost Windows

Well, just in time for Halloween I have some apparently paranormal activity in Power BI going on.

When I hit different features, it seems that the pop-up window that is supposed to prompt you for using the feature pops open invisibly. I know that it is open because when I click anywhere it makes the ping sound that windows does when you do something wrong. The only way to exit the screen is to hit ESC. No amount of trickery can get it to open, it won't do it for me in new windows, no restarting or different file types etc etc etc. I've done a fully uninstall and reinstall as well. 

To compound my confusion, I compared with a coworker's version and theirs had no such issues.

Spooky stuff, any help possible would me much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
v-xicai
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

By my test, I can't reproduce your scenario. You may restart the computer, then upgrade the Power BI Desktop to the latest version 2.74.5619.621 .

you may also collect some diagnostics by enabling tracing on Power BI Desktop, go to: File –> Options –> Diagnostics –> Enable Tracing, then you can test your power bi report, do some refresh and interactions first to create the trace logs, then click on “Open Traces folder” to find "error", see more details: Power BI Desktop Trace Logs Analyser.

Best Regards,

Amy

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

It really sucks that the app store version isn't supported more. Like why even bother creating apps if Microsoft is going to just drop support and have people download the desktop version instead?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replying,

So the issue is compounded first by the fact that I'm attempting to use the version that installs through the windows app store since it comes through our company firewall, so I can't just install the newest desktop version unfortunately.

I enabled tracking and ran some tests but no errors come up. I don't think it's technically flagging it as an error, since it seems to think the window is open when it opens, as it disables any clicking outside of the window. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.