Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

omeallynile
Frequent Visitor

Getting version history from SharePoint document library

Hi all, 

I posted a similar issue a whileback but thought I'd try again and phrase myself a little differently. 

I want to use previous versions of a file I have in Sharepoint. 

The way I am currently trying uses the REST API to return a list of versions and their URL, which links directly to the content. The Url looks like this:

mysite.sharepoint.com/_vti_history/[version]/[path]

This URL does exactly what I need, but when I try to load it with Web.Contents(), it amends the url to something that doesn't work: 

mysite.sharepoint.com/_api/web/GetFileByServerRelativeUrl('_vti_history/[version]/[path]')/$value

I am aware that for regular files this would be fine. For previous versions, it isn't. 

Does anyone know how I can either tell PowerBi to *not* change my Url, or how else I can get previous versions without using a custom connector? 

4 REPLIES 4
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @omeallynile 

You can try to use web connector with 'relativepath' option:

let
    Source = Web.Contents("https://tenant.sharepoint.com", [Headers=[#"key"=mykey], RelativePath="/_api/GetFileByServerRelativeUrl('[path]')/$value"])
in
    Source

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Hi @v-diye-msft , 

Thanks for responding. As mentioned in OP, this does not work when calling from version history. It only works for the current version of a file. Do you have any other ideas? 

I know this is an old topic, but after several frustrating hours looking for help online and finding only one or two threads with no solutuions, I buckled down and came up with a solution to this.

You can use the M function below to pull a list of all versions of a file in a SharePoint library with an associated URL that will actually work with Web.Contents.

Usage (if you named the function Versions):

Versions("https://<tenantname>.sharepoint.com", "/<sitename>", "/<path>/<filename>")

Function:

(SharePointTenant as text, SharePointSite as text, FilePath as text) as table =>

let
Base = Text.Combine({SharePointTenant,"/sites",SharePointSite,"/_api/Web/GetFileByServerRelativePath(decodedurl='/sites", SharePointSite, FilePath, "')/Versions"}),
Source = Xml.Tables(Web.Contents(Base)){0}[entry],
Cleaned = Table.RemoveColumns(Source,{"category", "link", "title", "updated", "author"}),
Built = Table.TransformColumns(Cleaned, {{"content", (x) => let
r = Record.FieldValues(Record.FieldValues(Record.FieldValues(x{0}){0}{0}){0}{0}){0}{0},
ret = [
Created = DateTime.From(r[Created]{0}[#"Element:Text"]),
Url = Text.Combine({Base, "(", r[ID]{0}[#"Element:Text"], ")/$value"}),
VersionLabel = r[VersionLabel],
VersionID = r[ID]{0}[#"Element:Text"]
]
in
ret
}}),
Expanded = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(Built, "content", {"Created", "Url", "VersionLabel", "VersionID"}, {"Created", "URL", "VersionIndex", "VersionID"}),
Extracted = Table.RenameColumns(Table.TransformColumns(Expanded, {{"id", each Text.End(_, 36), type text}}), {{"id", "GUID"}}),
Typed = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Extracted,{{"GUID", type text}, {"URL", type text}, {"VersionIndex", Int64.Type}, {"VersionID", type text}, {"Created", type datetime}}),
Organized = Table.ReorderColumns(Typed,{"VersionIndex", "Created", "GUID", "VersionID", "URL"})
in
Organized

Hi @omeallynile ,

Sorry I won't know, please kindlty raise your problem to support team for more advice:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

Support Ticket.gif

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.