Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Daryl_K
Resolver II
Resolver II

Getting values from one table to another by matching rows

I have two different (massive) tables that update live from SharePoint lists. Each has different data but on the same projects. In order to do some analysis in my Power BI I need to get some data from one table to another, but matcing by several columns.

For example, Table A has columns:

Site  |  Project  |  Part  |  Shipping Date   |   ....(plus dozens more not relevant)

Table B has:

Site  |  Project  |  Part  |   ....(plus dozens more not relevant)

Many rows may have common Site, Project or Part, but the combination of the three is pretty unique, so I want to match a row in A with a row in B based on those three columns being identical, then when a match is found bring Shipping Date from A over to B on the matched row.

Is this possible with PBI?

TIA.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey,

to pull the shipping date from table A to Table B just create a new calculated column in table B like so:

Pull Shipping Date =
LOOKUPVALUE(
'A'[Shipping Date]
,'A'[column A], 'B'[column A]
,'A'[column B], 'B'[column B]
,'A'[column C], 'B'[column C]
)

This is the way how this DAX statement works:

For each row in table the values from column A to C are used as search values to retrieve the [Shipping Date] value from table A when there is a match in in the given columns from Table A.

Hopefully this clarifies the working of LOOKUPVALUE a little more.

Maybe you should give it just a try.

Regards,

Tom  

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

yes this is possible, you can try the DAX function LOOKUPVALUE(...): https://dax.guide/lookupvalue/

If there are more rows with differnt values that match the given criteria, you can replace this line:

SELECTEDVALUE ( <Result_ColumnName>, <Alternate_Result> ),

with this

aggregatefunction('lookuptable'[resultcolumnname]),

where aggregatefunction has to be replaced with one of the aggregate functions like SUM, MAX, ... choose the one that best fits your needs.

Regards,

Tom 

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Thank you for the reply Tom. I am pretty new to PBI so maybe I am misundestanding this function but it seems to want a ResultColumn, SearchColumn and also a SearchValue. I don't want to enter a fixed search value because there are many thousands of projects and I just want to match like: If Table 1 / Column A matches Table 2 / Coumn A, and Table 1 / Column B matches Table 2 / Column B and Table 1 / Column C matches Table 2 / Column C then copy Table 2 / Column D to Table 1 on the corresponding (matching) row.

In this case PBI should not care what is in Columns A, B and C, just that if it finds matches between the tables.

Hey,

to pull the shipping date from table A to Table B just create a new calculated column in table B like so:

Pull Shipping Date =
LOOKUPVALUE(
'A'[Shipping Date]
,'A'[column A], 'B'[column A]
,'A'[column B], 'B'[column B]
,'A'[column C], 'B'[column C]
)

This is the way how this DAX statement works:

For each row in table the values from column A to C are used as search values to retrieve the [Shipping Date] value from table A when there is a match in in the given columns from Table A.

Hopefully this clarifies the working of LOOKUPVALUE a little more.

Maybe you should give it just a try.

Regards,

Tom  

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Thanks! It took some fiddling but I did get it to work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.