Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ReinBI

Getting started: Verify if Data (table) is compatible for Power Query/BI

Hi,

I have quite a big data set (I think at least) from which I want to make visualisation to share with other. I have had a intro/dummy course in Power BI but in this we used realtive more straight forward data. How can I check upfront/before I start if the data which I intend to use is rightly orderd/compatible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ReinBI 

You might refer to the official document for Datasource limitation when using the power bi:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-get-data 

• Dataset size limit - There's a 1-GB limit for datasets stored in Shared capacities in the Power BI service. If you need larger datasets, you can use Power BI Premium.

• Distinct values in a column - When caching data in a Power BI dataset (sometimes called 'Import' mode), there is a 1,999,999,997 limit on the number of distinct values that can be stored in a column.

• Row limit - When using DirectQuery, Power BI imposes a limit on the query results that are sent to your underlying data source. If the query sent to the data source returns more than one million rows, you see an error and the query fails. Your underlying data can still contain more than one million rows. You're unlikely to run into this limit as most reports aggregate the data into smaller sets of results.

• Column limit - The maximum number of columns allowed in a dataset, across all tables in the dataset, is 16,000 columns. This limit applies to the Power BI service and to datasets used in Power BI Desktop. Power BI tracks the number of columns and tables in the dataset in this way, which means the maximum number of columns is 16,000 minus one for each table in the dataset.

If not help, kindly elaborate more on your requirement.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ReinBI 

You might refer to the official document for Datasource limitation when using the power bi:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-get-data 

• Dataset size limit - There's a 1-GB limit for datasets stored in Shared capacities in the Power BI service. If you need larger datasets, you can use Power BI Premium.

• Distinct values in a column - When caching data in a Power BI dataset (sometimes called 'Import' mode), there is a 1,999,999,997 limit on the number of distinct values that can be stored in a column.

• Row limit - When using DirectQuery, Power BI imposes a limit on the query results that are sent to your underlying data source. If the query sent to the data source returns more than one million rows, you see an error and the query fails. Your underlying data can still contain more than one million rows. You're unlikely to run into this limit as most reports aggregate the data into smaller sets of results.

• Column limit - The maximum number of columns allowed in a dataset, across all tables in the dataset, is 16,000 columns. This limit applies to the Power BI service and to datasets used in Power BI Desktop. Power BI tracks the number of columns and tables in the dataset in this way, which means the maximum number of columns is 16,000 minus one for each table in the dataset.

If not help, kindly elaborate more on your requirement.

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@ReinBI , Any Data which can be inserted into a database table is directly compatible. Any data which can be converted into a database table friendly format using Pivot, unpivot or transpose is compatible.

If you can be very specific, then we can help easily.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.