Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Adamzzzz
Frequent Visitor

Getting sales from another table

Hello, 

I receive daily sales data from a retail store for products and units sold in a 'Sales product table'.

I am trying to determine the total value using a calculated column (if this could be done with a measure I am interested in hearing this solution)

The total value should be straight forward as I have the value of the product in the product description. So it is simply the value of the product * units sold.

Except I have products that have a variable value. This is where I am lost.

The value of the variable products is located in another table- 'Variable product table'. I am trying to bring the total value by day for variable into the Sales product table. My end result would look like 'End result table'

I had a solution where I concatenated storeid and date to create a relationship between the tables and used a switch function to work out the value, but I am dealing with millions of rows. This took up a lot of space and was not feasible for publishing.   

Thank you for any assistance. 

Sales product table   
StoreIDProductUnits SoldDate
1$100 Product21/1/2016
1$200 Product11/1/2016
1$300 Product41/1/2016
1Variable Product 31/1/2016

Variable product table     
StoreIDProductUnits SoldSales ValueDate
1Variable Product 11151/1/2016
1Variable Product 11871/1/2016
1Variable Product 15001/1/2016

End result table     
StoreIDProductUnits SoldDateSales ValueComment
1$100 Product21/1/2016$200$100 product * 2 Units sold
1$200 Product11/1/2016$200$200 product * 1 Units sold
1$300 Product41/1/2016$1,200$300 product * 4 Units sold
1Variable Product 31/1/2016$802Sum of sales value column from 'Variable product table' for 1/1/2016 and StoreID1
4 REPLIES 4
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi @Adamzzzz

I solved this following this steps:

1. Go to Edit Query and make a copy of Sales Products Table. Rename to Products.

1.png

2: In Product Table, delete all the columns except Product Column.

2.png

3: Delete duplicate rows. Close & Apply

3.png

4: Make relationships between Sales Product & Product also Variable Product & Product

4.png

5: Create a measure Price Product

PriceProduct = if(and(HASONEVALUE('Sales Product'[Product]);LEFT(VALUES('Sales Product'[Product]))="$");Mid(VALUES('Sales Product'[Product]);2;FIND(" ";VALUES('Sales Product'[Product]);1)-1))

6: Create a measure SalesValue

SalesValue = If('Sales Product'[PriceProduct]=BLANK();sum('Variable Product'[Sales Value]);'Sales Product'[PriceProduct]*sum('Sales Product'[Units Sold]))

6.png

Finish. 😃

Lima - Peru

Thank you Vvelarde

Adamzzzz
Frequent Visitor

My solution that added a lot of space to the model due to the key (Date&StoreID) was as follows-

=SWITCH(TRUE(),

Sales product table[Product]="Variable Product",

(RELATED('Variable product table'[Sum of Sales Value])),

'Sales product table'[Product]="$100 product",(100*'Sales product table'[Units Sold])..............

Any help would be appreciated.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.