Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Hoveyg
Regular Visitor

Getting previous semester enrolment using DAX measures

Hi Everyone,

I work in the education sector and am looking to setup a PowerBI dashboard that returns the # of students based on enrolment for the previous term of the previous year. ie.  Report ‘Fall 2016 (Term# 1168)’ enrolment alongside ‘Fall 2015(Term# 1158)’ enrolment where I can then look to eventually calculate growth. 

The school terms in an academic year don’t adhere to the traditional fiscal and quarter system so I’m uncertain how to create custom periods. I was able to pull the previous Term#’s enrolment via the following measure but it unfortunately lists the total population from the previous term of the academic year and does not reflect any of the page level pivots/filters/views of the data.

(PowerBI Page Filter on 1168)

PY_StudentCount = CALCULATE([Distinct Students], FILTER(All(CNA_Enrolment), CNA_Enrolment[Term#] = 1158))

**1158 value for Fall 2015 was hardcoded into formula for testing/development.

I receive an output similar to this where the previous year was always the same value no matter how the data was sliced or filtered on the page.

School

Current Enrolment

Previous Year Enrolment

Growth

School of IT

School of Business

School of Industrial Trades

I'd like the previous year enrolment for Fall to pull for each academic school. 

Perhaps it’s not possible to have dynamic calculations based on previous year…. I’ve been reading all about DAX and have a book on order but I’m still struggling to figure out how to get last year's semester enrolment numbers returned in a measure that can be filtered and sliced based on what else was selected in the page.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Greg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Framet
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi,

The suggested formula is very valid. Just an additional option depending on your setup as the above will return nothing if you have anything in the report alterting the filter context on CNA_Enrolment[Term#] to anything other than 1158.

Additonally you might want to try:

PY_StudentCount = CALCULATE([Distinct Students], FILTER(All(CNA_Enrolment[Term#]), CNA_Enrolment[Term#] = 1158))

You also mention the 1158 was added just for testing, without this what about the formula would return a prior year value?

DAX is certianly able to assist in prior year and indeed many other time intelligence functions and I would agree a good book is really helpful in understanding how get to grips with things.

Thanks

Thomas

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Framet
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi,

The suggested formula is very valid. Just an additional option depending on your setup as the above will return nothing if you have anything in the report alterting the filter context on CNA_Enrolment[Term#] to anything other than 1158.

Additonally you might want to try:

PY_StudentCount = CALCULATE([Distinct Students], FILTER(All(CNA_Enrolment[Term#]), CNA_Enrolment[Term#] = 1158))

You also mention the 1158 was added just for testing, without this what about the formula would return a prior year value?

DAX is certianly able to assist in prior year and indeed many other time intelligence functions and I would agree a good book is really helpful in understanding how get to grips with things.

Thanks

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Your suggestion did work!!   Thank you very much!!   I guess my next question leads into your questions about 1158.. how do i dynamically assign that value?  I basically want something like CNA_Enrolment[Term#] = CNA_Enrolment[Term#]-10.. ie.   where current term is 1168..  I want to check 1168-10 = 1158 previous period enrolment.

PY_StudentCount = CALCULATE([Distinct Students], FILTER(All(CNA_Enrolment[Term#]), CNA_Enrolment[Term#] = (CNA_Enrolment[Term#]-10)))

Thoughts?  thanks again.

Greg

Hi Greg,

I see your logical thinking and you could approach it this way however I'd probably say for the record it would be bad practice. 

Imagine if your filter context had two terms selected what would CNA_Enrolment[Term#]-10 mean?

A more typical approach would to have a calendar table attached to your main records so you could return anyone enroled between X date and Y date. Alternatively you could also do this by having a semester table with dates that would also work. Once this is setup you can use the time intelligence functions like PARALLELPERIOD and let DAX do the hard work for you.

That all said one option presents its self given what you have described. If you create a calculated column on your main record table that has the formula:

NextTerm#= CNA_Enrolment[Term#]+10

You could use this in a measure that essentially clears the filter on CNA_Enrolment[Term#] and applies it to the new column CNA_Enrolment[NextTerm#]

My best guess at the formula is a little blind as I can't test but consider the below best endeavors. Someone with more experience may be able to be more specific.

PY_StudentCount =
CALCULATE (
    [Distinct Students],
    ALL ( CNA_Enrolment[Term#] ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( CAN_Enrolment[NextTerm#] ),
        CAN_Enrolment[NextTerm#] = VALUES ( CNA_Enrolment[Term#] )
    )
)

Hope this helps

Thomas

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Hoveyg

You use ALL() function in your formula, ALL() function ignores all slicers and Visual/Page/Report filters. Please change your formula to the following formula and check if you get desired result.

PY_StudentCount = CALCULATE([Distinct Students], FILTER(CNA_Enrolment, CNA_Enrolment[Term#] = 1158))

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lydia,

Thank you for your response - is there any way to have a combination of both page filters and ALL() records in a formula?  Ie.  My dashboard is currently filtering for the active term of 1168...  To do a prior period calculation, I need the ALL() to go back and look at term 1158 but there are other page filters and pivots of the data that I have in my dashboard..  I'd need some of those same visual/page/report filters in my dashboard to also filter my previous term enrolment otherwise I won't be comparing apples to apples..

This is an example of my current output using the formula i used..  Removing the ALL() as you suggested returns 0 previous year students as that term we are trying look at does not exist in the current filtered context.

Matrix:

Campus Name -    Current Students     -    Previous Year Students

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Campus 1         -    500 Students           -    2500

Campus 2         -    1000 Students         -    2500

I would first like the Previous Year students to show only those students for each campus, not the total for the year.  But i'd also eventually like it that if I clicked a chart value or filter on another object in the dashboard, that the previous year students would filter by those value too.. ie.  Click Female half of a pie chart, and my matrix values would update with just the Female numbers.

Matrix: (Filter for Females)  ---IDEAL output

Campus Name -    Current Students     -    Previous Year Students

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Campus 1         -    256 Students           -    230

Campus 2         -    126 Students           -    145

Perhaps what i'm asking for is not possible..  I keep trying different formulas but with no luck.  Alot of the forums and howtos detail previous periods using regular time period elements using dates which is not exactly applicable to me and my custom period calculation.. Kind of at a loss.

Any additional help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.