Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

PlastiquesMoore
Regular Visitor

Getting error message when I added a column to my Excel source worksheet

Hi folks,

I'm pretty new to Power BI. I've created a dashboard in Power BI and I'm getting my data from an Excel worksheet. Everything goes well when I add rows of data in my Excel worksheet and then hit the "Refresh" button in Power BI. I get an error message when I add columns in my Excel worksheet when I hit the "Refresh" button in Power BI. Can someone help me please?

! The column 'Column48' of the table wasn't found.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Your error means that one of the steps in your query is looking for Column 48.  You will need to remove that reference to avoid the error.  Click each step until you find the first step with the error, and either edit the code in the formula bar to remove reference to it, or delete and replace that step.

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@PlastiquesMoore ,

You should click query editor and modify/add the column name in advanced editor when you modify/add columns in your data source.

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I added my new columns in the middle of my Excel source worrksheet. I'll add the columns with the query editor, but does the order matter? Do both files have to be in the same column order?

Thanks!

Your error means that one of the steps in your query is looking for Column 48.  You will need to remove that reference to avoid the error.  Click each step until you find the first step with the error, and either edit the code in the formula bar to remove reference to it, or delete and replace that step.

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Please see this post regarding How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-Get-Your-Question-Answered-Quickly/ba-p/38490

But yes, when you add and remove columns it can be problematic. You need to edit your query and see where the error is occuring. 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I created Tables and that solved part of my problem. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors