Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Koen_PoweredBy
Frequent Visitor

Getting error: ' DataSource.Error: SharePoint: Request failed: The underlying connection was closed.

Anybody able to help? 

I' m suddenly getting the error in the title and atatched image. This error appears when trying to refresh queries which are connected to sharepoint.

> ONLY in Power BI desktop and ONLY on my own laptop, refresh via Service or Power BI Desktop on other PCs works fine.

In the Power Query editor, the error shows up 80% of the time (after refresh or change in data step), but sometimes the data comes through as normal. However, 'close & apply' does not work at all, always getting the error as below (or sometimes a different version of the same).

Have been struggling for days now to resolve this issue but to no avail. Have read multiple threads with simialr issues but no solution seems to work so far. 

> Clearing permissions

> Uninstall Power BI Desktop, tried previous version as well

> Running all Windows updates

> Changing TLS settings (control panel: Internet > advanced), and resetting to default

> Try to connect to a different sharepoint domain, same issue

As mentioned I can run the same queries via a different PC without any issues, but obviously I would like to continue to work from my own fairly new laptop.

Koen_PoweredBy_0-1670587441369.png

After clearing permissions and when pressing re-adding, I sometimes (but not always) get this screen. However, as said my settings haven't been changed and are already set to default. 

Koen_PoweredBy_0-1670589521402.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Koen_PoweredBy ,

This is acknowledged as an issue. We have reported the issue and submitted it to the internal icm platform, No: 346380410. Engineers will do their best to resolve the issue. I will update you here if there is any progress , please be patient.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
nickvogel
Frequent Visitor

Have you gotten anymore information on this issue? I keep getting the same exact error. Driving me crazy, as I've never had an issue in the past 3 years.

Not yet, although something changed in that the error is now already appearing before I even log on: 

sign in error.png

Resided to working from a back up PC, but I hope it won't take too long.

Have you heard any more on this issue? I am running into the same thing. I only get the 

"SharePoint: Request failed: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send" on one machine. I've tried all the other things mentioned on the Issues list and other conversations where this error is mentioned. It works maybe 1 out of 10 times and fails the other 9. It's very frustrating. I may need to switch to a different machine like you did.

cc: @v-rongtiep-msft 

No, I never got it resolved, although I did find out that the troublesome machine doesn't have this issue on all networks. Just some networks, like my home networks and hotspot present this issue. But other machines work fine on the same network. Thus it seems be a combination of machine and network that causes the issue, which resetting machine and network hasn't fixed so far.

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Koen_PoweredBy ,

This is acknowledged as an issue. We have reported the issue and submitted it to the internal icm platform, No: 346380410. Engineers will do their best to resolve the issue. I will update you here if there is any progress , please be patient.

Best Regards
Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-rongtiep-msft 

I've learned that a fix has been applied for the reported issue, but I believe this was unrelated to the problem I stated here as my problem occurs in Desktop, while the fix was applied for an issue on the service. 

Please, could you have another look at my problem, and hopefully provide an actual fix to the problem? 

Thanks for your reply. As it does greatly impact the business I do with clients, do you have any expected timeline for this issue to be resolved? Until then I don't really see this as a solution...

Also, could you provide some more information why I only seem to be experiencing this issue on only one laptop? Any other PC / laptop I' ve tried refreshes the same .pbix file just fine in Desktop.

Because of that, I'm suprised that it's a larger / known issue instead of maybe some settings that are wrong for this one laptop (although I'm at a loss what it could be). 

Koen_PoweredBy
Frequent Visitor

And sometimes the error message ism uch larger, seemingly contianing the full log... 

Unexpected error: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.
Details:
Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.ErrorException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.ErrorException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.ErrorException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.ErrorException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.ErrorException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Http.ResponseException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Http.ResponseException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at System.Net.FixedSizeReader.ReadPacket(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest, Boolean renegotiation)
at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
at System.Net.TlsStream.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult result)
at System.Net.TlsStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at System.Net.PooledStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeaders(Boolean async)
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Http.WrappingHttpWebRequest.<>c__DisplayClass119_0.<WrapResponse>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Http.WrappingHttpWebRequest.WrapExceptionResponse[T](Func`1 getValue)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Http.Request.CreateResponse(ResourceCredentialCollection credentials)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Http.Request.GetResponseCore(ResourceCredentialCollection credentials)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Http.RetryPolicy.Execute[TResult](IEngineHost host, Func`1 func)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Http.Request.GetResponse(ResourceCredentialCollection credentials, RetryPolicy retryPolicy, SecurityExceptionCreator securityExceptionCreator, Boolean tokenRefreshed)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Http.Request.GetResponse(ResourceCredentialCollection credentials, RetryPolicy retryPolicy, SecurityExceptionCreator securityExceptionCreator, Boolean tokenRefreshed)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.SharePoint.SharePointFile.TryGetWebFullUrl(Uri uri, ResourceCredentialCollection credentials, IEngineHost host, Boolean tokenRefreshed)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.SharePoint.SharePointFile.GetCsomFileUrl(IEngineHost host, TextValue url, ResourceCredentialCollection credentials)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Web.WebModule.WebContentsFunctionValue.TypedInvoke(TextValue url, Value options)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.NativeFunctionValue2`3.Invoke(Value arg0, Value arg1)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.MembersFunctionValue1.Invoke(Value arg0)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.RecordInstruction.RuntimeRecordValue.Force(Int32 index)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.RecordInstruction.RuntimeRecordValue.get_Item(Int32 index)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.RecordInstruction.RuntimeRecordValue.Force(Int32 index)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.RecordInstruction.RuntimeRecordValue.get_Item(Int32 index)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.RecordValue.RecordValueReference.get_Value()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.RecordValue.ReferenceArrayRecordValue.get_Item(Int32 index)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.RecordValue.TryGetValue(String key, Value& value)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.OptionalFieldAccessValueReference.GetValue()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.FieldAccessValueReference.get_Value()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.RecordValue.ReferenceArrayRecordValue.get_Item(Int32 index)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.FunctionInvocationInstruction2.Execute(Value frame)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.TransformValueReference.get_Value()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Query.ExpandListColumnQuery.<GetRowsets>d__47.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Query.ExpandListColumnQuery.<GetRows>d__40.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Table.TableModule.Table.PromoteHeadersFunctionValue.PromotedHeadersTableValue..ctor(TableValue table, ILifetimeService lifetimeService, Boolean promoteAllScalars, ICulture culture)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Table.TableModule.Table.PromoteHeadersFunctionValue.TypedInvoke(TableValue table, Value options)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.NativeFunctionValue2`3.Invoke(Value arg0, Value arg1)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.DebugInstruction.Execute(MembersFrame1& frame)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.InstructionInvocationInstruction2.Execute(MembersFrame1& frame)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.DebugInstruction.Execute(MembersFrame1& frame)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.InstructionInvocationInstruction2.Execute(MembersFrame1& frame)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.Library.Linker.BindFunctionValue.TypedInvoke(RecordValue environment, Value section, TextValue name)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Runtime.NativeFunctionValue3`4.Invoke(Value arg0, Value arg1, Value arg2)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.MembersFunctionValue0.Invoke()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.ListInstruction.RuntimeListValue.Force(Int32 index)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.ListInstruction.RuntimeListValue.get_Item(Int32 index)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.FunctionInvocationInstruction2.Execute(MembersFrame1& frame)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.Instruction.ExecuteCondition(MembersFrame1& frame)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.DebugInstruction.ExecuteCondition(MembersFrame1& frame)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.IfInstruction.Execute(MembersFrame1& frame)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Language.MembersFunctionValue0.Invoke()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SimpleDocumentEvaluator.BeginGetResult(DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SimpleDocumentEvaluator.BeginGetResult(DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters, Action`1 callback)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.IDocumentEvaluatorExtensions.GetResult[T](IDocumentEvaluator`1 evaluator, DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.Service.OnBeginGetResult[T](IMessageChannel channel, BeginGetResultMessage message, Action`1 action)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.Service.OnBeginGetPreviewValueSource(IMessageChannel channel, BeginGetPreviewValueSourceMessage message)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MessageHandlers.TryDispatch(IMessageChannel channel, Message message)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ChannelMessenger.ChannelMessageHandlers.TryDispatch(IMessageChannel channel, Message message)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MessageHandlers.Dispatch(IMessageChannel channel, Message message)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ChannelMessenger.OnMessageWithUnknownChannel(IMessageChannel baseChannel, MessageWithUnknownChannel messageWithUnknownChannel)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MessageHandlers.TryDispatch(IMessageChannel channel, Message message)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ChannelMessenger.ChannelMessageHandlers.TryDispatch(IMessageChannel channel, Message message)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.MessageHandlers.Dispatch(IMessageChannel channel, Message message)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.Run()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Container.EvaluationContainerMain.Run(Object args)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SafeThread2.<>c__DisplayClass9_0.<CreateAction>b__0(Object o)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Container.EvaluationContainerMain.SafeRun(String[] args)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Container.EvaluationContainerMain.Main(String[] args)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SimpleDocumentEvaluator.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<BeginGetResult>b__0(EvaluationResult2`1 result)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SimpleDocumentEvaluator.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<BeginGetResult>b__0(EvaluationResult2`1 result)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.IDocumentEvaluatorExtensions.GetResult[T](IDocumentEvaluator`1 evaluator, DocumentEvaluationParameters parameters)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.Service.OnBeginGetResult[T](IMessageChannel channel, BeginGetResultMessage message, Action`1 action)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.Service.OnBeginGetPreviewValueSource(IMessageChannel channel, BeginGetPreviewValueSourceMessage message)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.ChannelMessenger.OnMessageWithUnknownChannel(IMessageChannel baseChannel, MessageWithUnknownChannel messageWithUnknownChannel)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.SafeThread2.<>c__DisplayClass9_0.<CreateAction>b__0(Object o)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.Service.<>c__DisplayClass9_1.<OnBeginGetPreviewValueSource>b__1()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemotePreviewValueSource.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.<RunStub>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.ReportExceptions(String entryName, IEngineHost engineHost, IMessageChannel channel, Action action)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.<>c__DisplayClass17_0.<TryReportException>b__1()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Common.SafeExceptions.IgnoreSafeExceptions(IEngineHost host, IHostTrace trace, Action action)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.TryReportException(IHostTrace trace, IEngineHost engineHost, IMessageChannel channel, Exception exception)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.ReportExceptions(String entryName, IEngineHost engineHost, IMessageChannel channel, Action action)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemoteDocumentEvaluator.Service.<>c__DisplayClass12_1`1.<OnBeginGetResult>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.ReportExceptions(IHostTrace trace, IEngineHost engineHost, IMessageChannel channel, Action action)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.EvaluationHost.OnException(IEngineHost engineHost, IMessageChannel channel, ExceptionMessage message)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.IMessageChannelExtensions.WaitFor[T](IMessageChannel channel)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemotePreviewValueSource.PreviewValueSource.WaitFor(Func`1 condition, Boolean disposing)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.RemotePreviewValueSource.PreviewValueSource.get_TableSource()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Evaluator.Interface.TracingPreviewValueSource.get_TableSource()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Analysis.PackageDocumentAnalysisInfo.PackagePartitionAnalysisInfo.SetPreviewValue(EvaluationResult2`1 result, Func`1 getStaleSince, Func`1 getSampled)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.