Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aukev
Helper III
Helper III

Getting equal quartiles from a ranking

I have a list of around 80.000 customers. I`m trying to rank them based on how often they have purchased. For this I've created a calculated column called Frequency. This is basically just a count of all orders. 

What I want to achieve is rank the customers based on this and then put them in equal quartiles based on their ranking. So Q1 has 20.000 customers, Q2 has 20.000 customers etc..

To achieve this I`m following this example: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/quartile-ranking/m-p/560850?collapse_discussion=true&filter...

I created a measure called Frequency Rank. And that works fine. But when I use the  code to create the quartiles the visual I`m using the Frequency Quartile measure in just keeps loading forever

Frequency Rank = 
RANKX ( ALL ( magentoCustomers[customerID] ), CALCULATE ( SUM ( magentoCustomers[Frequency] ) ) )
Frequency Quartile = 
VAR _table =
    SUMMARIZE ( ALL ( magentoCustomers ), magentoCustomers[customerID], "_Rank", [Frequency Rank] )
VAR _table1 =
    ADDCOLUMNS ( _table, "_Rank1", RANKX ( _table, [_Rank] ) )
VAR Percentile25 =
    PERCENTILEX.EXC ( _table1, [_Rank1], 0.25 )
VAR Percentile50 =
    PERCENTILEX.EXC ( _table1, [_Rank1], 0.5 )
VAR Percentile75 =
    PERCENTILEX.EXC ( _table1, [_Rank1], 0.75 )
RETURN
    IF (
        [Frequency Rank] < Percentile25,
        "Q1",
        IF ( [Frequency Rank] < Percentile50, "Q2", IF ( [Frequency Rank] < Percentile75, "Q3", "Q4" ) )
    )

Example data set:

image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @aukev ,

Based on my test, you could use below formula to rank your data:

Frequency Rank = COUNTROWS(FILTER(ALL('magentoCustomers'),ISONORAFTER('magentoCustomers'[Frequency],SELECTEDVALUE(magentoCustomers[Frequency]),DESC,'magentoCustomers'[customerID],SELECTEDVALUE(magentoCustomers[customerID]),DESC)))

Result:

2.PNG

You could also download the pbix file to have a view.

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @aukev ,

From your measure, I got below result:

1.PNG

What is your desired result? Could you please post it?

Regards,

Daniel He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-danhe-msft 

The expected result would be this:

customerIDFrequencyRankQuartile
8277072Q4
8277134Q3
8277309Q2
82774111Q4
8277563Q4
8277635Q3
82777010Q1
8277817Q2
8277918Q2
82780011Q1
82781012Q1
8278226Q3

Hi @aukev ,

Based on my test, you could use below formula to rank your data:

Frequency Rank = COUNTROWS(FILTER(ALL('magentoCustomers'),ISONORAFTER('magentoCustomers'[Frequency],SELECTEDVALUE(magentoCustomers[Frequency]),DESC,'magentoCustomers'[customerID],SELECTEDVALUE(magentoCustomers[customerID]),DESC)))

Result:

2.PNG

You could also download the pbix file to have a view.

Regards,

Daniel He

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.