Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

brett_walton
Helper II
Helper II

Getting data from on-prem sharepoint into Power BI Desktop

Hello, 

Having an issue connecting to some of my sharepoint list that are on prem. Some work , some do not, for the ones that do NOT I am getting this message ? - has anyone solved this before ? 

Details: "Microsoft.Mashup.Engine1.Library.Resources.HttpResource: Request failed:
OData Version: 3 and 4, Error: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. (Internal Server Error)
OData Version: 4, Error: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. (Internal Server Error)
OData Version: 3, Error: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. (Internal Server Error)"

thanks brett 

10 REPLIES 10
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

@brett_walton,

What connector do you use to connect to the SharePoint list in Power BI Desktop, SharePoint List or OData feed? Do the problem SharePoint Lists contain special columns, for example, calculated columns? 

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I tired both O data, and Sharepoint List , the lists do not have calculated columns but have multi line text fields , hyper links ? Also one has more than 14K lines , is that an issue ?  

@brett_walton wrote:

I tired both O data, and Sharepoint List , the lists do not have calculated columns but have multi line text fields , hyper links ? Also one has more than 14K lines , is that an issue ?  

@brett_walton,

That is not an issue. What URL do you use when using OData feed entry to connect to the list and what type of authentication do you  use? Please help to provide us a fiddler trace so that we can further troubleshoot the issue 

Regards,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you for the suggestion to use Fiddler, I am pretty sure my URL and credentials are correct as I can access other sub-pages of our corp (on prem) sharepoint site that have lists attached to them. I am not a sharepoint or windows person so I requested help with our admin to look into this, I will follow up with results.

thank you ..

I guess it would be worth noting when I clear all the source data permission settings the first time I access the root URL I get the error stating OData: The feed's metadata document appears to be invalid.

@brett_walton,

What version of SharePoint do you connect to? Do you use a custom OData implementation in SharePoint?

Regards,
Lydia

We use Sharepoint 2013 and I am told we do not have any custom Odata implementations.

I will publish the fiddler findings once I get them.

Thank you,

Brett

Here is the trouble line from Fiddler. 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><m:error xmlns:m="http://schemas.microsoft.com/ado/2007/08/dataservices/metadata"><m:code>-1, Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ResourceNotFoundException</m:code><m:message xml:lang="en-US">Cannot find resource for the request $metadata.</m:message></m:error>

@brett_walton,

Please check the following similar thread to see if you get the same issue.

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Integrations-with-Files-and/Getting-data-from-on-prem-sharepoint-int...

Reagrds,

We use Sharepoint 2013 and I am told we do not have any custom Odata implementations.

I will publish the fiddler findings once I get them.

Thank you,

Brett

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.