Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KMKing
Regular Visitor

Getting computer OU information

I am pretty new to Power BI, but its pretty awesome! I have a work in progress dashboard that has simple active directory information. I am trying to get the computer OU information so I can display that, and filter based on OU.

The distinguishedName has that info, but I do not know for the life of me how to make it "readable" and not contain all the CN=,OU=,OU=,DC=,DC=,DC= stuff. I am sure it is something right under my nose and I am going to feel silly once someone points it out.

Example:

CN=Server123,OU=Prod,OU=Servers,DC=help,DC=me,DC=out

To something like:

Prod/Servers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Was able to resolve this on my own. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

The information you have provided is not making the problem clear to me. Can you please explain with an example.

Appreciate your Kudos.

Sorry, I posted in haste.

I am using the Active Directory connector in Power BI to get information on servers in our domain. I would like to display the servers OU information also on this report. I can then create a filter to show a count of servers in certain OUs. I just need the OU information to be in a better format than what is in the distinguishedName colum.

If I add that to the report as it sits, it has all the LDAP information included.

Example: CN=Server123,OU=Prod,OU=Servers,DC=help,DC=me,DC=out

Format desired: Prod/Servers

Hope that makes more sense. 

Was able to resolve this on my own. 

az38
Community Champion
Community Champion

@KMKing 

please, share your solution 🙂

do not hesitate to give a kudo to useful posts and mark solutions as solution
LinkedIn
KMKing
Regular Visitor

I split the column using custom delimiters to break out the information and then replaced the text.

Split column

Custom Delimiter - CN=, (left most)

Then proceeded to do the same for the end (DC info)

Split the new column off again - Custom Delimiter - DC=, (left most)

This left me with OU=something,OU=something

I replaced the text on that colum to change OU= to a "/"

This left me with a column containing the OU location only. I will do this again with pictures, I know it seems a little hard to understand with just me typing it out.

I don't know if anyone else is still looking at this 4 years on but Bing brought me here searching to do similar.

I couldn't work out how the OP got the desired text using split but it got me thinking and instead of doing two splits, I went to the Transform ribbon and selected Extract > "Text Between Delimiters" and then from "," to ",DC="

ZosiaBoj_0-1711538966485.png

Then split this into rows on ",". This left me with one row starting "CN=", where ther emust have been no OU, so I filtered on rows beginning "OU=". (I guess I could also have just split on "," and then done this step also)

Then used Replace Values to replace "OU=" with "".

Finally tidied up by deleting the additional columns that were created during these steps.

Now I have a tidy lookup table of computers and there OUs.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.