Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting build version from Devops and place it in a table in Power BI

Hi!

I am looking for a way to get development version information of my tabular model in a status report. I have separated my dataset which is published to the power bi service. Next I am using this dataset in my reports. I think that my datamodel will have a table called Model or something that have some status fields like build version (from devops), build date, last processed or perhaps other information much like an About Box is used. Have any of you done this and how did you succeed to do this? 

regards Geir

3 REPLIES 3
dkpmfa
Helper II
Helper II

I would like to do the same thing.  I see this thread seems to have died out.  Here are more details on what we're doing and what I'd like to do.

We are using on-prem Power BI.  We have three environments, Development, Test and Production.

Sometimes a change will be in test and before it's release to production someone asks for a new change.

To keep versions clear on the report, I'd like the report itself to display a build number from DevOps.  So I'm looking for a way to actually embed the DevOps build number into the Power BI report as data.

Has anyone done this?  And if so, how?

We're also looking it migrating to Azure.  So the same question applies there.  But On-Prem first, at least for me.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

I hope to be more clear about want I want in my Power BI data model. It will be a self service model, but it also like to add some metadata information that can be used in my report as well. Since I want to adopt the pattern to separate the dataset and power bi reports, it would be nice to have a feature that I can have in my datamodel telling which version of the dataset I am using. I could of course put this hard coded, but I would think it could be nice to let devops create this version number for me and add it to a "data metadata table" with a few fields in it. Other information like oldest or last date of data can I reach, but I don't have any increment.

Having the increment in devops and then put it in a variable that can be added to a SQL command script could of course be the solution I can see. I just want to hear if any of you had done this

v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Not very clear, you want to export the information and use it in Power BI or you have already get that information and want to build model in Power BI?

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.