Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dreyz64
Helper III
Helper III

Getting a slicer filtered value into a custom column

Hello everyone,

I am trying to create filters based on a slicer.

I have a table of sales and I have created a separate table with conditions on the years.

2020-05-06_10-57-59.jpg

The way I would like my report to work is:

If 'Show reliable YTD data' is selected, then I want to filter everything which belongs to this year and who's month is 2 months before today. Example: today the report would show all volumes for 2020 from Jan to March.

If 'Show all YTD data' is selected, then I want to filter everything which is not in 2020.

If 'Show all YTD data and Previous year' is selected, then I want to show everything from 2020 and 2019.

I would like to create a custom column in my Main table which would put 1 on each line that fulfills the above selected condition. Like this I can sum up the volume based only on the periods I want to consider.

2020-05-06_11-01-18.jpg

2020-05-06_11-07-31.jpg

2020-05-06_11-09-01.jpg

Then the aim would be that I create a measure that sums volume for every line where Custom col = 1.

Like this I can capture the sales corresponding to the periods I want filtered.

If you have a better approach do not hesitate to show me and thanks for the help!

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@amitchandak Thank you for the answer.

I basically want to filter my data based on criterias from a slicer.

But tbh creating new measures for every data is very inefficient... In Tableau a simple filter works... 

@dreyz64 

Values in a calculated column are fixed. But you may use ADDCOLUMNS in a measure.

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/naming-temporary-columns-in-dax/

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-chuncz-msft Thank you for your answer, this indeed would be a bit better than creating so many new columns.

In the end, I bypassed the issue by using additional tables to filter the dates. Like this this I use one single volume column.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.