Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dan_Sprague
Advocate I
Advocate I

Getting Refresh Status for ALL Datasets

Hi All, 

I know there's a lot of posts, blogs and articles out there about obtaining the last refresh date and status of datasets.  From what I've found, these solutions are either way too involved or don't provide enough results.  They're either about showing the last refresh for a single dataset/report, or doing something crazy like accessing the REST API with python/powershell, or creating an Azure application or Flow solution... that just seems like overkill and a lot of unneccessary work for what I'm trying to accomplish.

What I'd like to do is simply create a new Power BI report, get the last refresh date and status for every dataset in our organization, display that info in the report, and publish it, as a "Refresh Status Dashboard"... and without using external tools, just power bi and power query.

Does anyone know if this is possible or have any advice.

Thank you much!

7 REPLIES 7
simonwking
Regular Visitor

Hi, Im also interested in this.  I have a PowerBI written which can get the list of all dataset ID from my workgroup. But then I have to individually get the status for each dataset (I currently have 31).  This is either 31 Copied queries or some way of a query cycling through the results from another query.  All I want is the name, date and status of the last refresh for each one.  

rajathirathi

Hi Dan_Sprague,

Could you please help if you have achieved this .I want to do the same need to create report that shows refresh status for all dataset

Thanks in advance

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Dan_Sprague

Were you able to achieve this - "simply create a new Power BI report, get the last refresh date and status for every dataset in our organization, display that info in the report, and publish it, as a "Refresh Status Dashboard"... and without using external tools, just power bi and power query."

If yes, then please let me know. I am also planning to implement this.

Thanks!!

v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Dan_Sprague ,

Below are the steps about getting the refresh history of datasets:

Select a workspace you need >go to settings>datasets:

Annotation 2020-02-13 111616.pngAnnotation 2020-02-13 111634.png

Here you will find the refresh history of all the datasets in the workspace,such as below:

Annotation 2020-02-13 111830.png

But it cant be published directly to a dashboard,it needs to be done manually,

For the related reference,pls click here.

Best Regards,
Kelly

Thanks for the reply Kelly.  Yes, refresh history can be viewed in the service.  The problem is that the history can only be viewed for a single dataset at a time.  If you have to check the refresh history and status of 100 datasets, you'd have to go through the steps you laid out one hundred times.  Not at all efficient.  

As stated in my original post, 

What I'd like to do is simply create a new Power BI report, get the last refresh date and status for every dataset in our organization, display that info in the report, and publish it, as a "Refresh Status Dashboard"... and without using external tools, just power bi and power query.

Hi @Dan_Sprague

If so,it's best to use API,pls turn to the references below:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/datasets/getrefreshhistoryingroup#completed-refre...

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Developer/How-to-get-refresh-history-of-dataset-using-powerbi-REST-...

Best Regards,
Kelly

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

This is a reasonable reponse, but I think it's beyond the scope of what OP is asking for. 

This solution you've linked assumes the following:
- that the user has datasets in the Power BI service rather than in a .pbxi file
- that the user is converstand in using Python + the requests module (or another programming language and its requests package)

Is there not a  way one can glean all this information in a regular desktop Power BI report?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.