Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

baloo

Getting Expression.Error: after removing 3 columns from excel data source

I have had to do two changes to my PowerBI reports im working on that are causing errors.

Expression.Error: The key didn't match any rows in the table.
Details:
Key=
Item=Table1
Kind=Table
Table=[Table]

I use an Excel Spreadsheet as my data source. I had to update my data source spreadsheet by removing three columns as the information was no longer needed. I saved my new spreadsheet with a new name and proceeded to update the PowerBI report data source and hook it up to the new spreadsheet. The three columns removed where somewhere in the middle of the spreadsheet.

I have updated the advance query editor to no longer reference the 3 removed columns in each section of each line of code but continue to error out on "Table1_Table = Source{[Item="Table1",Kind="Table"]}[Data]"

Multiple tables have the same error.

The applied steps include: (nothing complicated, none of the removed columns were being split)

Source

Navigation <- Error occurs here

Changed Type

Split Column By Delimiter

Unpivoted Columns

I have used Refresh Preview, Close and Apply, and Apply. Same error.

I have tried to delete the navigation applied step. I get a new error that is even more confusing. It is saying a column is missing (and not one of the ones I removed). The one it says is missing is still there. Verified in Query, excel file, etc.

Expression.Error: The column 'myColumn' of the table wasn't found.
Details:
myColumn

I have also tried to remove/delete the columns from the relationship table view and the table/data view. This doesnt work as it just adds an applied step at the end of the query and not impact the query itself so I am back to where I started.

Why am I getting the Key error? What are the potential causes? Am I not refreshing the right thing? I always "apply changes".

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
baloo

I figured out the problem. Previous versions of excel sheet were being imported as a table. The excel sheet had been converted to a table prior to being prepared as a data source.

That is why I was getting key row errors and table1 errors.

Ctrl + A on entire Excel spreadsheet, convert to table. Save spreadsheet.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
baloo

I figured out the problem. Previous versions of excel sheet were being imported as a table. The excel sheet had been converted to a table prior to being prepared as a data source.

That is why I was getting key row errors and table1 errors.

Ctrl + A on entire Excel spreadsheet, convert to table. Save spreadsheet.

Thank you but I have already reviewed those forum posts.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

Can you post the code from advanced editor

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

I'm sorry no, I can't.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.