Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ntaylo06
Resolver II
Resolver II

Getting Data From Previous Row Based On Two Criteria

I have have the table 'Data' with the fields 'employee ID', 'rotation number', and 'location' with each employee ID appearing three times with rotation number increasing each time and a location code per row. I am trying to add a 'last location' calculated column that will display the last location by looking at the rotation number and subtracting 1 from it, unless the rotation number is 1 which gets the string "xxxxx" like this:

+---------------+-------------------+------------+-----------------+
|  employee ID  |  rotation number  |  location  |  last location  |
1001 1 abcde xxxxx 1001 2 fghij abcde 1001 3 klmno fghij 1002 1 pqrst xxxxx 1002 2 uvwx pqrst 1002 3 yzab uvwx

Can anyone help with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@HotChilli Thats alright, I found a workaround solution by adding an index column and then calculating index-1 from it. Thanks for trying, though.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Is the last value in 'last location' a mistake? Should it be uvwx?

If so, try adding a column

Column = var _emp = Table1[employee ID]
var _rot = Table1[rotation number]
RETURN
if (Table1[rotation number] <> 1, 
CALCULATE(MAX(Table1[location]),FILTER(Table1, Table1[employee ID] = _emp && Table1[rotation number] < _rot)),
"xxxxx")

@HotChilli wrote:

Is the last value in 'last location' a mistake? Should it be uvwx?

Yes, that was a mistake. I've fixed it now.

@HotChilli wrote:

If so, try adding a column

The column kinda works, but it is only pulling the entry for rotation #2 and then displaying it for all rows after the first:

|  employee ID  |  rotation number  |  location  |  last location  |
1001 1 abcde xxxxx 1001 2 fghij abcde 1001 3 klmno abcde 1002 1 pqrst xxxxx 1002 2 uvwx pqrst 1002 3 yzab pqrst

Do you want to link your pbix here and i'll have a look at it?

@HotChilli Thats alright, I found a workaround solution by adding an index column and then calculating index-1 from it. Thanks for trying, though.

@ntaylo06 

Glad to hear that. You may help accept the solution above. Your contribution is highly appreciated.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.