Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SirJJAnderson
Helper III
Helper III

Getting Circular Dependency Error When Trying to Sort Month Column By Month Number Column

I'm trying to sort my "Month" column by "Month Number", but am getting this error:

Screen Shot 2020-05-11 at 11.54.42 AM.png

9 REPLIES 9
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@SirJJAnderson hope these posts helps

https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/avoiding-circular-dependency-errors-in-dax/

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sql+bi+circular+dependency&ie=UTF-8&oe=

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

@parry2k So I'm a total Power BI and DAX noob, if I share the pbix file with you, could you look at directly? I did already find that article you sent but couldn't really make heads or tails of it.

@SirJJAnderson sure, share it, remove any sensitive information before sharing.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@SirJJAnderson which column has the error, I just opened the pbix and looks fine.

image.png

also, change Month Number  like this

Month Number = MONTH ( 'Date'[Date] )

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

@SirJJAnderson got it, add Month Number  using following expression and then it will all work

Month Number = MONTH ( 'Date'[Date] )

I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

@parry2k  You're awesome!! That worked perfectly. Thanks, I guess I used an outdated article to create my Month Number forumla 🙂

@parry2k i get the error when trying to sort the "Month" column by the "Month Number" column in the date table

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.