Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rustice
Frequent Visitor

Get value from row in the same table based on last date

How can I return the amount based on last date for a specific customer using DAX?

Here is a sample data:

Data.png

In this case, I want Customer A for each Services Contract to return its nearest last Software Contract net amount, which would be 5,000. On the other hand, Customer B wouldn't return anything since there are no past dates, just future ones.

The measure should work only for Services Contracts, which is why I set the IF statement to return 0 when Type of Contract is not Services.

The closest I could get was to use EARLIER below, but that is returning me the Total Net Amount of all Software Contracts per customer in a cumulative way, instead of being just the last entry based on date.

Measure.png

Anyone has had a similar challenge and/or could point me in the right direction?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

assuming you want to create a calculated column you can solve your question  by doing this:

• create a var that stores the current customer
  • create a var stat stores the currnent date
  • create a var stat stores the type of contract

use the above information  to find the "max" date of all the dates that are smaller than the current date, store this date in a variable

The DAX statement will look similar to this 

var latestDate =
CALCULATE(
MAX('tablename'[Startdate])
,FILTER(
ALL('tablename')
,'tablename'[Parent Customer] = varCurrentCustomer && ... && 'tablename'[Start Date] < varCurrentDate
) 

Now use this variable together with the other variables to determine the Net Amount, just change part to the condition inside the FILTER() to

,'tablename'[Parent Customer] = varCurrentCustomer && ... && 'tablename'[Start Date] = latestDate

If you have further questions please provide sample data, create a pbix file, upload the file to onedrive or dropbox and share the link to the file

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
rustice
Frequent Visitor

Thanks very much for the quick replies!

@Ashish_Mathur, when I tried your LOOKUP calculated column, it says a "table supplied with multiple values was supplied when a single value was expected". 

@Anonymous, looks like your code is doing it. The only thing I had to do is to check "Don't Summarize" under my table options, because if it is set to SUM then I get some weird numbers. I'm curious, though, to understand why you used ALL() to iterate over all table values. In any case, I'll mark your aswer as the solution to the problem. 🙂

Hi,

It works absolutely fine.  This is the calculated column formula

=if([Type of Conteact]="Services",LOOKUPVALUE(ContractLines[Net Amount],ContractLines[Start Date],CALCULATE(Max(ContractLines[Start Date]),FILTER(ContractLines,ContractLines[Parent Customer]=EARLIER(ContractLines[Parent Customer])&&ContractLines[Type of Conteact]<>"Services"&&ContractLines[Start Date]<EARLIER(ContractLines[Start Date]))),ContractLines[Parent Customer],ContractLines[Parent Customer]),BLANK())

Hope this helps.

Untitled.png

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Try this calculated column formula

=LOOKUPVALUE(ContractLines[Net Amount],ContractLines[Start Date],CALCULATE(Max(ContractLines[Start Date]),FILTER(ContractLines,ContractLines[Parent Customer]=EARLIER(ContractLines[Parent Customer])&&ContractLines[Type of Contract]<>"Services"&&ContractLines[Start Date]<EARLIER(ContractLines[Start Date]))),ContractLines[Parent Customer],ContractLines[Parent Customer])

If this does not work, then share the link from where i can download your PBI file.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey,

assuming you want to create a calculated column you can solve your question  by doing this:

• create a var that stores the current customer
  • create a var stat stores the currnent date
  • create a var stat stores the type of contract

use the above information  to find the "max" date of all the dates that are smaller than the current date, store this date in a variable

The DAX statement will look similar to this 

var latestDate =
CALCULATE(
MAX('tablename'[Startdate])
,FILTER(
ALL('tablename')
,'tablename'[Parent Customer] = varCurrentCustomer && ... && 'tablename'[Start Date] < varCurrentDate
) 

Now use this variable together with the other variables to determine the Net Amount, just change part to the condition inside the FILTER() to

,'tablename'[Parent Customer] = varCurrentCustomer && ... && 'tablename'[Start Date] = latestDate

If you have further questions please provide sample data, create a pbix file, upload the file to onedrive or dropbox and share the link to the file

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors