Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DebbieE
Community Champion
Community Champion

Get time between dates on seperate rows

I have a dataset eg

Date                              In     Out

12/01/2019 10:15                 10        

12/01/2019 10:20         10        

12/01/2019 10:35                 30        

12/01/2019 10:40                 50        

12/01/2019 11:05         10        

12/01/2019 11:40                 90        

12/01/2019 12:15                 10        

I need to get the duration of time between the Out columns. So for row 1 and 3 the time between is 20 mins

I dont have a row number in the data set soI need to work off date and time for the order

Any help would be really appreciated 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @DebbieE

After my test, you could try this way:

Step1:

Use RANKX Function to add a row number for by [In] and [Out] column like this

In Rank = IF(Table1[In]<>BLANK(),RANKX(FILTER(Table1,ISBLANK(Table1[In])=FALSE()),Table1[Date],,ASC ))
Out Rank = IF(Table1[Out]<>BLANK(),RANKX(FILTER(Table1,ISBLANK(Table1[Out])=FALSE()),Table1[Date],,ASC ))

or combine them into one column

Rank = IF(Table1[In]<>BLANK(),RANKX(FILTER(Table1,ISBLANK(Table1[In])=FALSE()),Table1[Date],,ASC ),IF(Table1[Out]<>BLANK(),RANKX(FILTER(Table1,ISBLANK(Table1[Out])=FALSE()),Table1[Date],,ASC )))

2.JPG

Step2:

Use EARLIER Function to create a result column

In duration = DATEDIFF(CALCULATE(MIN(Table1[Date]),FILTER(Table1,Table1[In]<>BLANK()&&Table1[In Rank]=EARLIER(Table1[In Rank])-1)),Table1[Date],MINUTE)
Out duration = DATEDIFF(CALCULATE(MIN(Table1[Date]),FILTER(Table1,Table1[Out]<>BLANK()&&Table1[Out Rank]=EARLIER(Table1[Out Rank])-1)),Table1[Date],MINUTE)

3.JPG

here is pbix file, please try it.

Best Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi, @DebbieE

After my test, you could try this way:

Step1:

Use RANKX Function to add a row number for by [In] and [Out] column like this

In Rank = IF(Table1[In]<>BLANK(),RANKX(FILTER(Table1,ISBLANK(Table1[In])=FALSE()),Table1[Date],,ASC ))
Out Rank = IF(Table1[Out]<>BLANK(),RANKX(FILTER(Table1,ISBLANK(Table1[Out])=FALSE()),Table1[Date],,ASC ))

or combine them into one column

Rank = IF(Table1[In]<>BLANK(),RANKX(FILTER(Table1,ISBLANK(Table1[In])=FALSE()),Table1[Date],,ASC ),IF(Table1[Out]<>BLANK(),RANKX(FILTER(Table1,ISBLANK(Table1[Out])=FALSE()),Table1[Date],,ASC )))

2.JPG

Step2:

Use EARLIER Function to create a result column

In duration = DATEDIFF(CALCULATE(MIN(Table1[Date]),FILTER(Table1,Table1[In]<>BLANK()&&Table1[In Rank]=EARLIER(Table1[In Rank])-1)),Table1[Date],MINUTE)
Out duration = DATEDIFF(CALCULATE(MIN(Table1[Date]),FILTER(Table1,Table1[Out]<>BLANK()&&Table1[Out Rank]=EARLIER(Table1[Out Rank])-1)),Table1[Date],MINUTE)

3.JPG

here is pbix file, please try it.

Best Regards,

Lin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Can I confirm for Step 1

Are they calculated columns or measures? When I created them I could only make them as calculated measures

Confirmed myself. They are calculated measures

In Rank = IF(Table1[In]<>BLANK(),RANKX(FILTER(Table1,ISBLANK(Table1[In])=FALSE()),Table1[Date],,ASC))
Out Rank = IF(Table1[Out]<>BLANK(),RANKX(FILTER(Table1,ISBLANK(Table1[Out])=FALSE()),Table1[Date],,ASC))

Rankingissue.GIF

Mine looks different to the one above with the rankings. I know what happened here. This was because Id set my in and out to text rather than integers. Reset to numbers and it was all fine. However, why would the ranking work like the above image on text?

Ill carry on

hi, @DebbieE

First, They are calculated columns.

Second, However, why would the ranking work like the above image on text?

I need to get the duration of time between the Out columns. So for row 1 and 3 the time between is 20 mins

This is used to determine row number for each DateTime by In/Out. 

You could see the detail in my demo pbix file above.

Best Regards,

Lin

All working nicely 

Thank you so much

Fantastic,

I will try this later on today and let you know how I get on

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

See my article on Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF) which uses EARLIER: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Mean-Time-Between-Failure-MTBF-and-Power-BI/ba-p/3395...

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I cant quite make this fit with my example above,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.