Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

abhishekpati86
Helper III
Helper III

Get the values from an excel rather than hardcoding

Here is the requirement. I have the below matrix from a dataset containing some text values in End User Trade Name.

Capture.JPG

The 3rd column contains a score and it is set to 1 for a selected group of texts that is coming from another excel file.

Capture.JPG

I have a table named the same in my Report and when the text matches it to the one in the list, the score is set to 1 for that entry. The excel is for the purpose that anyone can enter the values and just have to do a refresh in the Power BI to update the score for those set of values.

Below is the code that is doing it - 

ScoreTrade = IF(
SUMX(Keyword_Trade_Name,
FIND(
UPPER(Keyword_Trade_Name[Trade_Name]),
UPPER(Table_Test[End User Trade Name])
)
) > 0,
)

I am hardcoding the value to be 1(in bold above) in this case here but I don't want it to do that way. I want it to be taken from an excel file and the value can be set by the user (maybe 2 , 3 but same for all the keywords in that table). Can you suggest a way to do that so that I don't have to hardcode it but maybe use the same excel sheet to add another column with the value ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@abhishekpati86

I am hardcoding the value to be 1(in bold above) in this case here but I don't want it to do that way. I want it to be taken from an excel file and the value can be set by the user (maybe 2 , 3 but same for all the keywords in that table). 

According to your description, you should be able to use the same excel sheet "Keyword_Trade_Name" to add another column called Score with the value like below.

excel.PNG

Then use MAX function which returns the largest numeric value in a column(as the Score value is the same for all the keywords in that table, it will return that value) like below to calculate "ScoreTrade" for "End User Trade Name".

ScoreTrade =
IF (
    SUMX (
        Keyword_Trade_Name,
        FIND (
            UPPER ( Keyword_Trade_Name[Trade_Name] ),
            UPPER ( Table_Test[End User Trade Name] ),
        )
    )
        > 0,
    MAX ( Keyword_Trade_Name[Score] ),
)

Regards

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
abhishekpati86
Helper III
Helper III

Hi All,

Here is the requirement. I have the below matrix from a dataset containing some text values in End User Trade Name.

Capture.JPG

The 3rd column contains a score and it is set to 1 for a selected group of texts that is coming from another excel file.

Capture.JPG

I have a table named the same in my Report and when the text matches it to the one in the list, the score is set to 1 for that entry. The excel is for the purpose that anyone can enter the values and just have to do a refresh in the Power BI to update the score for those set of values.

ScoreTrade = IF(
SUMX(Keyword_Trade_Name,
FIND(
)
) > 0,
)

I am hardcoding the value to be 1(in bold above) in this case here but I don't want it to do that way. I want it to be taken from an excel file and the value can be set by the user (maybe 2 , 3 but same for all the keywords in that table). Can you suggest a way to do that so that I don't have to hardcode it but maybe use the same excel sheet to add another column with the value ?

@abhishekpati86

I am hardcoding the value to be 1(in bold above) in this case here but I don't want it to do that way. I want it to be taken from an excel file and the value can be set by the user (maybe 2 , 3 but same for all the keywords in that table). 

According to your description, you should be able to use the same excel sheet "Keyword_Trade_Name" to add another column called Score with the value like below.

excel.PNG

Then use MAX function which returns the largest numeric value in a column(as the Score value is the same for all the keywords in that table, it will return that value) like below to calculate "ScoreTrade" for "End User Trade Name".

ScoreTrade =
IF (
    SUMX (
        Keyword_Trade_Name,
        FIND (
            UPPER ( Keyword_Trade_Name[Trade_Name] ),
            UPPER ( Table_Test[End User Trade Name] ),
        )
    )
        > 0,
    MAX ( Keyword_Trade_Name[Score] ),
)

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft,

Thanks for the solution, now my Director wants it to be more dynamic.

So now the data should look something like this 

Capture.JPG

Is there a way to extract the possible values in the above manner ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

abhishekpati86
Helper III
Helper III

Hi All,

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

ScoreTrade = IF(
SUMX(Keyword_Trade_Name,
FIND(
)
) > 0,
)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.