Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

RogerSteinberg
Post Patron
Post Patron

Get previous total revenue based on rolling 1 week with datetime column

Hi,

I have a slicer that groups dates into different periods.

For example one value in my slicer is called Period A which is the first week of february.

I created two measures that allows me to calculate the bounds for the previous week as such . Note that my transaction_date column is in datetime : 

PreviousWeek_MIN = MIN(AllPackages[transaction_date])-7
PreviousWeek_MAX = MAX(AllPackages[transaction_date])-7

Now I'd like my to create a measure that calculates the revenue with those parameters:
Revenue -1 Week =
VAR _summary =
SUMMARIZE(
FILTER(
ALL(AllPackages),
AllPackages[transaction_date]>=[PreviousWeek_MIN ] && AllPackages[transaction_date] <= [PreviousWeek_MAX]
),
AllPackages[transaction_date],"Rev",sum(AllPackages[revenue])
)
return
SUMX(
_summary,
[Rev]
)

WHen i put this measure in my table it is blank, I thought the ALL function would allow me to do that rolling 1 week revenue using my parameters ...

Desired results:
 StartEndStart -1 End -1Revenue  CurrentRevenue -1 Week
Period A2/10/2021 2:00 AM2/12/2021 5:00 AM2/3/2021 2:00 AM2/5/2021 5:00 AM $                    100.00 $                                          75.00
Period B2/20/2021 2:00 AM2/22/2021 5:00 AM2/13/2021 2:00 AM2/15/2021 5:00 AM $                    150.00 $                                       100.00

Any thoughts?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @RogerSteinberg 

You can use below measure to get the previous week total revenue. This should be easier.

Previous Total Revenue =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( AllPackages[revenue] ),
    ALL ( AllPackages ),
    DATESBETWEEN (
        AllPackages[transaction_date],
        [PreviousWeek_MIN],
        [PreviousWeek_MAX]
    )
)

For your original measure, I use COUNTROWS(_summary) to return the number of rows of _summary table and gets the blank result. So the _summary variable table doesn't get the result correctly.

To use your measure, you can modify it into the following one. This should work. The reason is that when you use [PreviousWeek_MIN] and [PreviousWeek_MAX] directly in the FILTER() function, it will be calculated according to the filtered table's current row, so it will always get the blank value. 

Revenue -1 Week = 
VAR _maxDate = [PreviousWeek_MAX]
VAR _minDate = [PreviousWeek_MIN]
VAR _summary =
    SUMMARIZE (
        FILTER (
            ALL ( AllPackages ),
            AllPackages[transaction_date] >= _minDate && AllPackages[transaction_date] <= _maxDate
        ),
        "Rev", SUM ( AllPackages[revenue] )
    )
RETURN
    SUMX ( _summary, [Rev] )

Kindly let me know if this helps.
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RogerSteinberg
Post Patron
Post Patron

Please see my edited post ( i put my desired output ) .

My start-1 and End-1 columns works fine... 

Hi @RogerSteinberg 

You can use below measure to get the previous week total revenue. This should be easier.

Previous Total Revenue =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( AllPackages[revenue] ),
    ALL ( AllPackages ),
    DATESBETWEEN (
        [PreviousWeek_MIN],
        [PreviousWeek_MAX]
    )
)

For your original measure, I use COUNTROWS(_summary) to return the number of rows of _summary table and gets the blank result. So the _summary variable table doesn't get the result correctly.

To use your measure, you can modify it into the following one. This should work. The reason is that when you use [PreviousWeek_MIN] and [PreviousWeek_MAX] directly in the FILTER() function, it will be calculated according to the filtered table's current row, so it will always get the blank value. 

Revenue -1 Week = 
VAR _maxDate = [PreviousWeek_MAX]
VAR _minDate = [PreviousWeek_MIN]
VAR _summary =
    SUMMARIZE (
        FILTER (
            ALL ( AllPackages ),
            AllPackages[transaction_date] >= _minDate && AllPackages[transaction_date] <= _maxDate
        ),
        "Rev", SUM ( AllPackages[revenue] )
    )
RETURN
    SUMX ( _summary, [Rev] )

Kindly let me know if this helps.
Community Support Team _ Jing
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help other members find it. 

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hello @RogerSteinberg ,

can you check the values of PreviousWeek_MIN and PreviousWeek_MAX?

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

they're working fine. i had put the measures in the table initially to check their values and they work as intended

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.