Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tmhrzgr
Frequent Visitor

Get previous row with matching condition

Hi all,

I'm currently challenged to realise a target-measurement, moving from Excel with lots of VBA to Power BI. Let me show you two samples in a table "MCBZuLi" first:

TicketIDActionDateTimeActionToDoDate
24495528.03.2019 12:50:36Incoming Mail 
24495528.03.2019 13:04:06Ticket created 
24495528.03.2019 13:04:37Note 
24495528.03.2019 13:05:16ToDo01.04.2019
24495501.04.2019 11:30:00Ticket closed 

TicketIDActionDateTimeActionToDoDate
24488327.03.2019 12:31:40Incoming Mail 
24483327.03.2019 13:18:09Ticket created 
24488327.03.2019 13:18:23Note 
24483327.03.2019 13:18:26ToDo28.03.2019
24483328.03.2019 11:18:44ToDo29.03.2019
24483329.03.2019 12:04:31Ticket closed 
24483301.04.2019 10:24:24Ticket reopened 
24483301.04.2019 10:26:12ToDo02.04.2019
24483304.04.2019 11:41:01Ticket closed 

(Advice: the items in that examples are ordered by TicketID, in the Power BI-list, they aren't.)

What do you see here? For every case (Ticket) we have a action-list. In this list we have action-items. Our target is, that a action "ToDo" or "Ticket closed" happens on that day OR earlier, that is set as the new ToDoDate with the last "ToDo"-action. If you set a new ToDo or close the ticket, the target is reached, if not, it's failed.

That means: in example 1 the "Ticket closed"-action is happening at 01.04.2019. The ToDoDate from the last "ToDo"-action ist 01.04.2019. So the target is reached. In example 3 following this logic the "ToDo"-action from 28.03.2019 and the "Ticket closed"-action from 29.03.2019 are a "target reached", too, because these actions happens on the previous set ToDoDate. But: the last "Ticket closed" from 04.04.2019 ist a "target failed", beause the previous ToDoDate is the 02.04.2019. So I'm 2 days to late for this action. 🙂

So primary with every action that is "ToDo" or "Ticket closed" I have to check: what is the ToDoDate from the previous "ToDo"-action. After that I need to check, if the ActionDateTime is the same day as the previous ToDoDate. If yes, the target for this action is reached, if not, it's failed. Additional I need to check, if there is a previous ToDoDate - in example 2 you see, that the ticket is reopened, after that a ToDo is set. Now the previous ToDoDate isn't coming from the ToDo before the ticket is closed - now it's nothing (like when creating a new ticket with a initial ToDo). This cases should be ignored as there is no ToDoDate for this ToDo-action.

I already looked hours for a solution with RANKX, EARLER, FILTER, MAXX and so on, but couldn't find a solution to get my desired values. I hope you could help me to find a solution for that! 🙂

Thanks,

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
tmhrzgr
Frequent Visitor

Hi all,

sorry for the delay, but I'm already got the answer by my own. 🙂

FYI: The expected result is a 1 or 0 for every action, that hat the label "ToDo". A 1 is "target reached" and means, on the ToDo-Date of the designated ToDo ist a new ToDo or "Ticket closed"-action. If not, then not.

I made it with a RankX-column for every MCBZuLi-TicketID, that raises every time a new "ToDo"-action is set. Then I can look with a new column for the next RankX if the "ToDo"-value is happening on that designated day. It works as expected. 🙂

For the RankX:

RankX = RANKX(FILTER(MCBZuLi;BZuLi[TicketID] = EARLIER(MCBZuLi[TicketID]) && OR(MCBZuLi[Action] = "ToDo";MCBZuLi[Action] = "Ticket closed"));MCBZuLi[ActionDateTime];;ASC;DENSE)

For the column that checks if the ToDoDate:

SlaTarget= 

VAR ThisTicketID = MCBZuLi[TicketID]
VAR ThisRankX    = MCBZuLi[RankX]

VAR NextTodo = IF(MCBZuLi[Aktion] = "ToDo";
                SWITCH(TRUE();
                    NOT(ISBLANK(LOOKUPVALUE(MCBZuLi[Action];MCBZuLi[TicketID];ThisTicketID;MCBZuLi[RankX];ThisRankX + 1;MCBZuLi[Action];"ToDo"))) &&
                    (LOOKUPVALUE(MCBZuLi[ActionDateTime];MCBZuLi[TicketID];ThisTicketID;MCBZuLi[RankX];ThisRankX + 1;MCBZuLi[Action];"ToDo") >= MCBZuLi[ActionDateTime] &&
                    LOOKUPVALUE(MCBZuLi[ActionDateTime];MCBZuLi[TicketID];ThisTicketID;MCBZuLi[RankX];ThisRankX + 1;MCBZuLi[Action];"ToDo") < MCBZuLi[ToDoDate] + 1);
                        1;
                    NOT(ISBLANK(LOOKUPVALUE(MCBZuLi[Aktion];MCBZuLi[TicketID];ThisTicketID;MCBZuLi[RankX];ThisRankX + 1;MCBZuLi[Action];"Ticket closed"))) &&
                    (LOOKUPVALUE(MCBZuLi[ActionDateTime];MCBZuLi[TicketID];ThisTicketID;MCBZuLi[RankX];ThisRankX + 1;MCBZuLi[Action];"Ticket closed") >= MCBZuLi[ActionDateTime] &&
                    LOOKUPVALUE(MCBZuLi[ActionDateTime];MCBZuLi[TicketID];ThisTicketID;MCBZuLi[RankX];ThisRankX + 1;MCBZuLi[Action];"Ticket closed") < MCBZuLi[ToDoDate] + 1);
                );
                BLANK()
)

RETURN IF(TODAY() > MCBZuLi[ToDoDatum] && MCBZuLi[Action] = "ToDo";IF(NextTodo = 1;1;0);BLANK())

Not sure if it's the "smartest" way, but hey: it work's and I get what I want. 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Hi @tmhrzgr 

please provide sample data of the expected result.

Then I might be able to follow your description.

Thanks.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

tmhrzgr
Frequent Visitor

Hi all,

sorry for the delay, but I'm already got the answer by my own. 🙂

FYI: The expected result is a 1 or 0 for every action, that hat the label "ToDo". A 1 is "target reached" and means, on the ToDo-Date of the designated ToDo ist a new ToDo or "Ticket closed"-action. If not, then not.

I made it with a RankX-column for every MCBZuLi-TicketID, that raises every time a new "ToDo"-action is set. Then I can look with a new column for the next RankX if the "ToDo"-value is happening on that designated day. It works as expected. 🙂

For the RankX:

RankX = RANKX(FILTER(MCBZuLi;BZuLi[TicketID] = EARLIER(MCBZuLi[TicketID]) && OR(MCBZuLi[Action] = "ToDo";MCBZuLi[Action] = "Ticket closed"));MCBZuLi[ActionDateTime];;ASC;DENSE)

For the column that checks if the ToDoDate:

SlaTarget= 

VAR ThisTicketID = MCBZuLi[TicketID]
VAR ThisRankX    = MCBZuLi[RankX]

VAR NextTodo = IF(MCBZuLi[Aktion] = "ToDo";
                SWITCH(TRUE();
                    NOT(ISBLANK(LOOKUPVALUE(MCBZuLi[Action];MCBZuLi[TicketID];ThisTicketID;MCBZuLi[RankX];ThisRankX + 1;MCBZuLi[Action];"ToDo"))) &&
                    (LOOKUPVALUE(MCBZuLi[ActionDateTime];MCBZuLi[TicketID];ThisTicketID;MCBZuLi[RankX];ThisRankX + 1;MCBZuLi[Action];"ToDo") >= MCBZuLi[ActionDateTime] &&
                    LOOKUPVALUE(MCBZuLi[ActionDateTime];MCBZuLi[TicketID];ThisTicketID;MCBZuLi[RankX];ThisRankX + 1;MCBZuLi[Action];"ToDo") < MCBZuLi[ToDoDate] + 1);
                        1;
                    NOT(ISBLANK(LOOKUPVALUE(MCBZuLi[Aktion];MCBZuLi[TicketID];ThisTicketID;MCBZuLi[RankX];ThisRankX + 1;MCBZuLi[Action];"Ticket closed"))) &&
                    (LOOKUPVALUE(MCBZuLi[ActionDateTime];MCBZuLi[TicketID];ThisTicketID;MCBZuLi[RankX];ThisRankX + 1;MCBZuLi[Action];"Ticket closed") >= MCBZuLi[ActionDateTime] &&
                    LOOKUPVALUE(MCBZuLi[ActionDateTime];MCBZuLi[TicketID];ThisTicketID;MCBZuLi[RankX];ThisRankX + 1;MCBZuLi[Action];"Ticket closed") < MCBZuLi[ToDoDate] + 1);
                );
                BLANK()
)

RETURN IF(TODAY() > MCBZuLi[ToDoDatum] && MCBZuLi[Action] = "ToDo";IF(NextTodo = 1;1;0);BLANK())

Not sure if it's the "smartest" way, but hey: it work's and I get what I want. 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.