Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Get previous row value in new column

Hi,

I have seen all the solutions related to this topic and couldn't find a solution to my problem hence posting here.  I have created a new table in power bi using summarize which is just a count of users grouped by date.  I am expecting as below

pb1.JPG

In PowerBI, I tried adding a column with DAX formula as below 

Previous = CALCULATE(MAX(ddd[Users]),FILTER(ddd,EARLIER(ddd[Date]) > ddd[Date] ))  and what I get is as below:  It looks like it is taking max of previous values may be because MAX is used in the formula, but I couldn't find any other option to get this done!  Am missing something here.  Can anyone help on this please..

pb2.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Sample data would help but perhaps something like:

Previous = 
var PreviousDate = MAXX(FILTER(ALL(ddd),EARLIER(ddd[Date]) > ddd[Date] ),ddd[Date])

Return CALCULATE(MAX(ddd[NewUsers]),FILTER(ddd,ddd[Date] = PreviousDate))

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

You need to FILTER the table as you are doing but then get the MAXX of your date of those filtered rows and then return the value for that row. See my article on Mean Time Before Failure (MTBF) which uses EARLIER in this way: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Mean-Time-Between-Failure-MTBF-and-Power-BI/ba-p/3395...

Latest book!:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.. I visited the link and I get your point on getting the Max previous date first and then fetching corresponding value but how to do that in a single DAX formula, still struggling.  If you can help.. I tried something like below but it gave all blank values.

Previous = var PreviousDate = CALCULATE(MAX(ddd[Date]),FILTER(ddd,EARLIER(ddd[Date]) > ddd[Date] ))

Return CALCULATE(FIRSTNONBLANK(ddd[NewUsers],""),ddd[Date] = PreviousDate)

Sample data would help but perhaps something like:

Previous = 
var PreviousDate = MAXX(FILTER(ALL(ddd),EARLIER(ddd[Date]) > ddd[Date] ),ddd[Date])

Return CALCULATE(MAX(ddd[NewUsers]),FILTER(ddd,ddd[Date] = PreviousDate))

Latest book!:

That was an elegant solution Greg. I was wondering if you could help me with this another topic..... please!

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/DAX-Commands-and-Tips/LOOKUPVALUE-overrides-RLS/td-p/1195715

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks.  works now!  I was close but didn't get what was missing from mine one.  I have used MAX instead of MAXX and not used FILTER explicitly in return...

Previous = var PreviousDate = CALCULATE(MAX(ddd[Date]),FILTER(ddd,EARLIER(ddd[Date]) > ddd[Date] ))

Return CALCULATE(MAX(ddd[NewUsers]),ddd[Date] = PreviousDate)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.