Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jpereztang
Helper I
Helper I

Get period context

Hi everyone,

I saw an inspiring design that someone let on showcase forum where the creator showed the period that the report use. I searched how to achieve it but I don't found anything, Do any of you know how to do it ?

report period.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jpereztang
Helper I
Helper I

Considering  the test i got this

Filtered period:=IF(
                                 FIRSTNONBLANK(Tiempo[Month],1) = LASTNONBLANK(Tiempo[Month],1)
                                ,FIRSTNONBLANK(Tiempo[Month],1)
                                ,FIRSTNONBLANK(Tiempo[Month],1) & " ~ " & LASTNONBLANK(Tiempo[Month],1) )

Tecnically this answer my question, what do you think @Sean @KHorseman

UPDATE:

After do some test i found that FIRSTNONBLANK(Tiempo[Month]) get the first month order alphabetically because i want to show something like 'Jan-2016' and this is not the order I want. so I had to use FIRSTDATE to get the correct dates order. Finally this is the measure that resolve the problem

FORMAT(FIRSTDATE(DimDate[Date]),"M")+ FORMAT(FIRSTDATE(DimDate[Date]),"yyyy") = 
                        FORMAT(LASTDATE(DimDate[Date]),"M") +  FORMAT(LASTDATE(DimDate[Date]) ,"yyyy")
                  ,FORMAT(FIRSTDATE(DimDate[Date]),"MMM") & "-" & FORMAT(FIRSTDATE(DimDate[Date]),"yyyy")
                  ,FORMAT(FIRSTDATE(DimDate[Date]),"MMM") & "-" & FORMAT(FIRSTDATE(DimDate[Date]),"yyyy")
                        & " ~ " & FORMAT(LASTDATE(DimDate[Date]),"MMM") & "-" & FORMAT(LASTDATE(DimDate[Date]) ,"yyyy")
 )

I hope it will be usefull for someone

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
jpereztang
Helper I
Helper I

Considering  the test i got this

FIRSTNONBLANK(Tiempo[Month],1) = LASTNONBLANK(Tiempo[Month],1)
                                ,FIRSTNONBLANK(Tiempo[Month],1)
                                ,FIRSTNONBLANK(Tiempo[Month],1) & " ~ " & LASTNONBLANK(Tiempo[Month],1) )

Tecnically this answer my question, what do you think @Sean @KHorseman

UPDATE:

After do some test i found that FIRSTNONBLANK(Tiempo[Month]) get the first month order alphabetically because i want to show something like 'Jan-2016' and this is not the order I want. so I had to use FIRSTDATE to get the correct dates order. Finally this is the measure that resolve the problem

FORMAT(FIRSTDATE(DimDate[Date]),"M")+ FORMAT(FIRSTDATE(DimDate[Date]),"yyyy") = 
                        FORMAT(LASTDATE(DimDate[Date]),"M") +  FORMAT(LASTDATE(DimDate[Date]) ,"yyyy")
                        & " ~ " & FORMAT(LASTDATE(DimDate[Date]),"MMM") & "-" & FORMAT(LASTDATE(DimDate[Date]) ,"yyyy")
 )

I hope it will be usefull for someone

@jpereztang that's easy to fix. You need a numeric column on your date table that matches the order that the months should follow. Add this column:

Month Order = INT(CONCATENATE(YEAR(DateTable[Date]), CONCATENATE(IF(MONTH(DateTable[Date]) < 10, "0", ""), MONTH(DateTable[Date]))))

Then select your Month of Year column and use the Sort By Column button to tell it to use Month Order to sort Month of Year. The months will now be sorted in calendar order instead of alphabetic.

SortByColumn.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@KHorseman My initial reaction was same as yours so I tested it and it seems it still sorts alphabetically!

When the Month is a Number (even though column Year-Mo is Text) its okay like here...

Report FIRSTNON/LASTNON 2 = 
IF (
    FIRSTNONBLANK ( 'Calendar'[Year-Mo], 1 ) = LASTNONBLANK ( 'Calendar'[Year-Mo], 1 ),
    FIRSTNONBLANK ( 'Calendar'[Year-Mo], 1 ),
    FIRSTNONBLANK ( 'Calendar'[Year-Mo], 1 ) & " ~ " & LASTNONBLANK ( 'Calendar'[Year-Mo], 1 )
)

But with Month Name doesn't work...

NOTE: Month Name Column is Sorted by Month Order Column - so in visualizations it sorts correctly - that is not alphabetically!

Report FIRSTNON/LASTNON 3 = 
IF (
    FIRSTNONBLANK ( 'Calendar'[Month-Year], 1 ) = LASTNONBLANK ( 'Calendar'[Month-Year], 1 ),
    FIRSTNONBLANK ( 'Calendar'[Month-Year], 1 ),
    FIRSTNONBLANK ( 'Calendar'[Month-Year], 1 ) & " ~ " & LASTNONBLANK ( 'Calendar'[Month-Year], 1 )
)

See picture

Report Period2.png

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Sean huh. Well I guess we're right back to reformatting the results of a FIRSTDATE function then.

@jpereztang I see, you're trimming it up for cases when there's only one month. Smart. Looks good to me. That might be a good case for the VAR method, so that you don't have to call FIRSTNONBLANK multiple times. But @Sean would have to test to tell us if there's any performance gain there. It would be milliseconds if anything I'm sure. Smiley Tongue

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@KHorseman Smiley LOL I'm done testing for today Smiley LOL

I implemented the VAR approach and it works great with 2 different dates in the same table (no need for USERELATIONSHIP)

jpereztang
Helper I
Helper I

Many options, yes. The question is what to accept as a solution? lol

Thank you guys ! @Sean @KHorseman

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jpereztang the only thing about the VARiable solution - it may run slower than the others depending on how much data you have!

Not that you'll notice anything but it may be more taxing on the system - I may or may not test it in DAX Studio later Smiley Happy

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Sean The impact of VAR on performance is a bit hard for me to predict. Sometimes it gives you a huge performance gain if it's something that would otherwise have been re-calculated multiple times. In this case I think it may be a wash. Whether you stick it in a VAR or not each of those two dates will only be called once. So you could write the same formula as

Report Period = FORMAT( FIRSTDATE(DateTable[Date]), "MMM yyyy")

& " - " &

FORMAT(LASTDATE(DateTable[Date]), "MMM yyyy")

I'm curious to see how the two versions perform against each other, but it's so simple I'll bet there's little or no difference.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@KHorseman okay you made me test - so on the dataset I tested the VAR and First/Last date are pretty much the same.

Firstnon/Lastnon slightly edged them both out.. go figure Smiley Happy

Basically @jpereztang experiment and see which works best for you!

Knowing performance was about the same - VAR does give you more flexibility (all you need is a date)

If you have 2 diiferent dates VAR may actually help you - gotta go test something else now... Smiley Happy

@jpereztang Technically I think my last post was the most flexible and broadly applicable solution, but you could probably just roll the dice and pick any one. Smiley Very Happy

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

I don't know how they did it in that particular example, but I can think of a few ways. The easiest assumes that the period is coming from a fairly standard date table, where there is a column that I'm going to call Month of Year, which contains a concatenation of the year with the short month name for each date. If that were the case you could set a date filter for the entire report, either by setting hard dates or by using a DateDiff or MonthDiff column (another date table column counting the number of days/months/whatever between now and then, derived by simple subtraction, so you could set a filter for MonthDiff >= -4 and <= 0 for the last five months for instance). Then you could create a measure:

Report Period = FIRSTNONBLANK(DateTable[Month of Year], 1) & " - " & LASTNONBLANK(DateTable[Month of Year], 1)

Put that in a card at the top of the page and you'll have your reporting period. If the period is set by slicer this will automatically adjust whenever you change the slicer selection.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jpereztang I guess it would be something like this...

Report Period = FIRSTDATE ( 'Calendar'[Date] ) & " - " & LASTDATE ( 'Calendar'[Date] )

Seems to work in my case...

Report Period.png

EDIT: Which formula you end up using depends on what DATA TYPE column you use!

@KHorseman's would work on dates formatted as TEXT as well so go with it!

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Sean or you could just get goofy and do something like

Report Period =

VAR fdate = FIRSTDATE(DateTable[Date]) 

VAR ldate = LASTDATE(DateTable[Date])

RETURN

FORMAT(fdate, "MMM yyyy") & " - " & FORMAT(ldate, "MMM yyyy")

...I say goofy, but that does negate the need for the Month of Year column. All you need is the date. This sort of auto-generates the results of the Month of Year column but just for those two dates. Anyway @jpereztang now you have lots of options.

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Smiley Very Happy Yes many options indeed! Smiley Very Happy

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

@jpereztang Just one more thing you may find useful and ties in perfectly with this thread Smiley Happy

Check out @KHorseman's solution here

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Implement-different-periods-in-reports/m-p/32713#M11452

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.