Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Get next date in a list

This question is two-fold:

I have a list of projects, each with several milestones and associated dates. See an example of one project below that has milestones ("Action Title") and milestone dates "Deadline"Capture.JPG

Is there a way to create a function that returns the next date in a list of dates? Then, once you have that, is there a way to return the milestone that is associated with that date? For example in the data set above, is there a way to create two separate functions that:

a) Return 3.29.20 as the next date

b) Return "DG3" as next milestone

I'm trying to create a gantt chart using this data since Power BI doesn't currently support showing multiple milestones along a single project row. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, you should be able to use the formulas below to create two measures to get next date and milestone for an Id.

Next Date = 
var currentDate = TODAY()
var currentID = MAX(Table1[Id])
return
CALCULATE(MIN(Table1[Deadline]),FILTER(ALL(Table1),Table1[Id]=currentID&&Table1[Deadline]>=TODAY()))
Next Milestone = 
return
CALCULATE(MIN(Table1[Action Title]),FILTER(ALL(Table1),Table1[Id]=currentID&&Table1[Deadline]>=TODAY()))

r1.PNG

Here is the same pbix file for your reference. Smiley Happy

Regards

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, you should be able to use the formulas below to create two measures to get next date and milestone for an Id.

Next Date = 
return
CALCULATE(MIN(Table1[Deadline]),FILTER(ALL(Table1),Table1[Id]=currentID&&Table1[Deadline]>=TODAY()))
Next Milestone = 
return
CALCULATE(MIN(Table1[Action Title]),FILTER(ALL(Table1),Table1[Id]=currentID&&Table1[Deadline]>=TODAY()))

r1.PNG

Here is the same pbix file for your reference. Smiley Happy

Regards

Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks a lot - that worked!

Now for the tricky part - how can I show this in a gantt chart? When I try to calculate duration until milestone by just taking the difference between Next MS Date and TODAY(), the return value is in date format. Is there any way to get this into a number format so that I can use it as a duration in the gantt? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.