Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Get month and year from date

Hi,

I want to get the month and year in format January 2019 etc from my date column. I tried the below format but i get this error-

FORMAT ( 'TABLENAME'[Date], "MMMYY" )

Function 'FORMAT' is not allowed as part of calculated column DAX expressions on DirectQuery models.

I also tried concatenating the year and month column it works but i dont get the data sorted properly.

Please suggest Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
kcantor
Community Champion
Community Champion

@Anonymous 

Try this slight variation:

=FORMAT(Data[Date],"MMM-YY")

Also, are you using a date table or a fact table with a date column?

In addition, check this thread for assistance as well.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Transform-date-to-MM-YYYY/td-p/205311

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am still getting same error with FORMAT. 

I have date column from fact table. The other link you shared it converts it into format 2017-1 but i want it to be 2017 January etc and also be able to sort based on this column value.

Or is it possible to create date hierarchy from this column. Right now i dont see option for that when i right click on that column.

Hi @Anonymous 

Create columns

year-month = FORMAT([Date],"yyyy mmmm")

sort by = FORMAT([Date],"yyyymm")

Select "year-month" column, then select "sort by column"->"sort by" column

5.png

Best Regards
Maggie

Community Support Team _ Maggie Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am still having issues. I have attached screenshots how my column shows up. Its coming from Dimension table and i have shown data as well. Its datatype is date.example.png

@Anonymous - From your screenshots it appears that you are using direct query model. If so you cannot add columns at this time. You can only create measures. You are tryin to accomplish row context and the best way to do this is to add your logic to your model.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Add it to Dimension table or create a measure? Could you help with this

I would add it to the Dimension table, redeploy and process.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have a column with info like 2019-01 ,2019-02 etc . I was thinking if i could convert it to 2019 January etc that could do it. Is that possible in this model?

@sgsukumaran  That is a good catch.  Kudos to you!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.