Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

KentY

Get max value from a column in a related table

Hello all,

New to PowerBI, and am trying to follow the best practice of building a model rather than a report. I know this question has been asked in various forms elsewhere in these forums, but I can't quite wrap my head around how to apply those solutions to my particular situation, so I apologize in advance if this question is a duplication of those questions.

Anyway, as a lifelong gamer, I have a fun project I'm doing where I'm creating a gamification system for my work (I'm not expecting anything super impactful from this project, it's just something fun to try).

What I have is a 'LevelXP-Team' table that has the XP requirements to reach each level:

Level-XP.png

This 'LevelXP-Team' table is then related Many-to-One to a 'TeamMemberRef' table that contains each team member and their Total XP:

XP-relate.png

What I would like to do is create 2 new columns in 'TeamMemberRef' with these respective values:

1. 'TeamMemberRef'[CurrentLevel]
    • Return the corresponding level from 'LevelXP-Team'[Level] that the user has reached, using the 'LevelXP-Team'[(Max Level 99)] column as the XP requirement.
  2. 'TeamMemberRef'[XPToNextLevel]
    • Return the remaining XP from 'LevelXP-Team'[(Max Level 99)] that they have left to reach the next level in 'LevelXP-Team'[Level]

So for example, if John Doe in the TeamMemberRef table has 5,000 XP (so a value of 5,000 in the 'TeamMemberRef'[TotalXP-Team] column), I would want to return in a new "CurrentLevel" column that his current level is 5 (going off the 'LevelXP-Team'[(Max Level 99)] column for the XP requirement), and then I would want a new separate "XPToNextLevel" column that shows he has 751 XP left to reach the next level (which would be Level 6 with a requirement of 5,751 XP).

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Did more looking online, and was able to solve it. Here are my final DAX expressions. Not sure if they are "optimal" but they work for me!

• Return the corresponding level from 'LevelXP-Team'[Level] that the user has reached, using the 'LevelXP-Team'[(Max Level 99)] column as the XP requirement.
      • CurrentLevel = LOOKUPVALUE('LevelXP-Team'[Level],'LevelXP-Team'[XP (Max Level 99)],CALCULATE(MAX('LevelXP-Team'[XP (Max Level 99)]),FILTER(ALL('LevelXP-Team'),TeamMemberRef[TotalXP-Team]>='LevelXP-Team'[XP (Max Level 99)])))

• Return the remaining XP from 'LevelXP-Team'[(Max Level 99)] that they have left to reach the next level in 'LevelXP-Team'[Level]
      • XPToNextLevel = CALCULATE(MIN('LevelXP-Team'[XP (Max Level 99)]),FILTER(ALL('LevelXP-Team'),TeamMemberRef[TotalXP-Team]<'LevelXP-Team'[XP (Max Level 99)])) - TeamMemberRef[TotalXP-Team]

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jairoaol
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

you should not do that by relationships but by using column-level DAX calculations.

if the TotalXP-Team field is between MAX periods then assign it a required XP level.

Thank you for your reply. Could you please give an example of the DAX expressions I would use, or the steps I would follow? I'm new to PowerBI so I'm not quite sure where to start. Thanks again!

Did more looking online, and was able to solve it. Here are my final DAX expressions. Not sure if they are "optimal" but they work for me!

• Return the corresponding level from 'LevelXP-Team'[Level] that the user has reached, using the 'LevelXP-Team'[(Max Level 99)] column as the XP requirement.
      • CurrentLevel = LOOKUPVALUE('LevelXP-Team'[Level],'LevelXP-Team'[XP (Max Level 99)],CALCULATE(MAX('LevelXP-Team'[XP (Max Level 99)]),FILTER(ALL('LevelXP-Team'),TeamMemberRef[TotalXP-Team]>='LevelXP-Team'[XP (Max Level 99)])))

• XPToNextLevel = CALCULATE(MIN('LevelXP-Team'[XP (Max Level 99)]),FILTER(ALL('LevelXP-Team'),TeamMemberRef[TotalXP-Team]<'LevelXP-Team'[XP (Max Level 99)])) - TeamMemberRef[TotalXP-Team]

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.