Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Get last 12 months average

Hi all,

I have the below measure which calculates the averge bill rate excluding State but including Division, Assignment Type, Speciality, Bill_Rate_Tier & Startdate

I have a filter for the Startdate where user can select a date.

When user selects a data from StartDate filter, I would like the below calculation to last 12 months worth of data and give the average bill rate.  

Could you please help me how i can amend this measure to calculate average for last 12 months?

CALCULATE(AVERAGE(Query1[Bill Rate]),ALL(Query1[State]),ALLSELECTED(Query1[Division],Query1[Assignment Type],Query1[Speciality],Query1[BILL_RATE_TIER],Query1[STARTDATE]))

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

First, please create a Date dimension table and use Date field of Date table in slicer. Then create a measure as below:

Rolling 12 months average =
VAR _seldate =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Date[Date] )
VAR _startdate =
    DATE ( YEAR ( _seldate ) - 1, MONTH ( _seldate ) - 1, 1 )
VAR _enddate =
    EOMONTH (
        DATE ( YEAR ( _seldate ), MONTH ( _seldate ) - 1, DAY ( _seldate ) ),
    )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        AVERAGE ( Query1[Bill Rate] ),
        DATESBETWEEN ( Query1[StartDate], _startdate, _enddate ),
        ALL ( Query1 )
    )

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , Join start date with date from date table and try a formula like

Rolling 12 = CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date],ENDOFMONTH(Sales[Sales Date]),-12,MONTH)) 
Rolling 12 = CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date ],MAX(Sales[Sales Date]),-12,MONTH))  
Rolling 12 = CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date ],MAX('Date'[Date ]),-12,MONTH))  

To get the best of the time intelligence function. Make sure you have a date calendar and it has been marked as the date in model view. Also, join it with the date column of your fact/s. Refer :
https://radacad.com/creating-calendar-table-in-power-bi-using-dax-functions

Appreciate your Kudos.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak 

thanks Amit

The below is taking the dates from selected date till the last 12 months.

For example : if 8/28/2020 is selected in the filter, its calculating 12 months from this date. 

Rolling 12 = CALCULATE(sum(Sales[Sales Amount]),DATESINPERIOD('Date'[Date],ENDOFMONTH(Sales[Sales Date]),-12,MONTH)) 

What i would like to do is, take the last day of the previous month and calculate 12 months from this date. 

For example: if 8/28/2020 is selected in the filter, it should calculate from 7/1/2019  till 7/31/2019

How can modify the DAX to suit my requirement.

Hi @Anonymous ,

First, please create a Date dimension table and use Date field of Date table in slicer. Then create a measure as below:

Rolling 12 months average =
VAR _seldate =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Date[Date] )
VAR _startdate =
    DATE ( YEAR ( _seldate ) - 1, MONTH ( _seldate ) - 1, 1 )
VAR _enddate =
    EOMONTH (
        DATE ( YEAR ( _seldate ), MONTH ( _seldate ) - 1, DAY ( _seldate ) ),
    )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        AVERAGE ( Query1[Bill Rate] ),
        DATESBETWEEN ( Query1[StartDate], _startdate, _enddate ),
        ALL ( Query1 )
    )

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.