Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Get existing visualization to recognize new data columns

Hello - I am a Power BI newbie who is struggling.  

I have a nice Power BI dashboard that relies on a CSV file with 20 columns of data.  I have modified this CSV file so now it has 24 columns of data.  The first 20 columns are still the same, the last 4 are new.  I cannot for the lfe of me figure out how to get my dashboard to recognize the four additional cloumns of data within the Fields list.  They also do not show up in the query editor.  What am I doing wrong?  I have tried the Edit Query Queries/Data Source Setting function as well as renaming the CSV file and reconnecting but with no luck.

Thanks,

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys and thanks for your help.  I figured it out based on your replies and something I discovered.  For starters, I had to add the columns into the source line (red circle).  I did that but still had the same problem until I noticed a line of code for the number of columns that the program was pulling in (green circle).  Changing this to 25 to account for the 4 additional columns fixed everything.PowerBI.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

In the Query Editor go to View > Advanced Editor and in the Source Line there, add the additional columns.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys and thanks for your help.  I figured it out based on your replies and something I discovered.  For starters, I had to add the columns into the source line (red circle).  I did that but still had the same problem until I noticed a line of code for the number of columns that the program was pulling in (green circle).  Changing this to 25 to account for the 4 additional columns fixed everything.PowerBI.png

Michiel
Resolver III
Resolver III

First, make sure you hit the 'refresh preview' button in the Query Editor, so you can make sure the query connects to your new file. I suspect that one of the steps you made when loading the file, is to select (or deselect) columns. If there is a step like 'Removed Columns' in the query, then on the background the resulting columns are listed, resulting in new columns not being selected by default. If you have a step like this, there should be a gear icon next to it and clicking it will enable you to select the new columns.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.