Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Ha_Da
Frequent Visitor

Get data with Direct Query and Import Data

Hi All,

Recently I am designing a new report in Power BI Desktop. As its data is too big, I load data from Oracle database using Direct Query. After that I realized that I need to Get some mapping data from Excel. But Excel only support Import data mode. If I switch whole report to Import data mode, it will spend a lot of time in loading and refreshing data from database. Is there any way that support both get data method? Is there any solution for this condition? Thanks in advance.

Ha Da. 

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Ha_Da, I'm sorry for the issue you got. I think you already figured out that it is impossible to get data with mix mode in Power BI, that is, you can choose either Import or Direct Query, but not both. So, for your scenario, you have to switch to the Import mode; or try to migrate excel data to Oracle first and then get data with the Direct Query mode in PBI.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@Ha_Da, I'm sorry for the issue you got. I think you already figured out that it is impossible to get data with mix mode in Power BI, that is, you can choose either Import or Direct Query, but not both. So, for your scenario, you have to switch to the Import mode; or try to migrate excel data to Oracle first and then get data with the Direct Query mode in PBI.

Yes, I read a tech note from Power BI Instruction yesterday about direct query. Sinse figuered out there is no way to load data with both way, I am investigating advanced option to reduse data from databse, I have to redesign my working tool if I want to import my Excel data to Oracle database. Thank you anyway.

Ha Da

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Ha Da

I was wondering if you were able to find a solution to use direct query and excel at the same time

Sir, in such cases may be you can try relying on Views.

Create a SQL view to load the excel data on the direct Query data base and do access that view from Power BI via the same source. 

Hello,

Has anything changed? Is it still impossible to have both Direct Query and Import in the same report?

Sir, in such cases may be you can try relying on Views.

Create a SQL view to load the excel data on the direct Query data base and do access that view from Power BI via the same source. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.