Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Yggdrasill
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Get data via Power BI Desktop from excel/csv download link

On numerous times I've used Download links for Excel/csv files to automatically import data from a website that hosts excel files with great results.

However, sometimes the URL is hidden. Either way you can get the URL with some tricks using your Chrome/Edge/Firefox browser.

I managed to extract this URL: http://opnirreikningar.is/rest/csvExport?vendor_id=&type_id=&org_id=&timabil_fra=01.08.2021&timabil_...

If you click on the link you'll get a 5MB downloaded file or at leaste you're prompted for download. The file works 

If I open PBI Desktop - > Get Data -> Web and paste the URL in there then I was assuming it would work but instead I get scrambled data. Like so:

Yggdrasill_0-1632238319074.png

It doesn't matter what format I choose, none of them return readable data.

Is there some trick I haven't figured out yet and is out there?

You can easily open this 

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why don't you use the exported file as data source instead? 

Save it somewhere on the cloud and you could either use the Excel/CSV connectors or the web link of the file (not the one from your post) with the Web connector?

Because I want to be able to automatically refresh the data straight from the source. Unless I'm missing something that you know about?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it, that makes sense. I'm assuming it looks that way since the URL is meant for extraction & conversion. Can you share a picture of how you get that URL? I couldn't navigate easily on the web page as it is in other language. 

Download the file from www.opnirreikningar.is (top right corner) and press CTRL+J for downloads. Right click and copy URL path from there

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see, file is pushed via JSON which makes it a little bit more complicated to access. One workaround is to create an scheduled workflow in Power Automate to download everyday this file and upload it somewhere in the cloud, then use this file as data source. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors