Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ReneAlvarez

Get data from project sites

In old Reporting Services, I can create a list of projects and by clicking the project name, I can instruct the report to query again and get now all the data from SharePoint lists in a given project site (since I know the url of that site from PWA).

I cannot find a way to do the same thing from Power BI.

If I already know the project site, yes I can use it to pull those lists but that requires the modification of the data model again and again everytime I create a new project.

Is there a way to instruct PowerBI to pull all project sites and just refresh (not modify) the data model when needed?

Thanks in advance

3 REPLIES 3
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ReneAlvarez

Yes, it is possible to instruct PowerBI to pull all project sites and just refresh (not modify) the data model when needed.

get data from sharepoing list

you could refresh manually with power bi desktop or refresh on schedule with power bi service.

As you already created a pbix file get data from SharePoint list in Power BI desktop, you can publish the report to Power BI service.   

Does the report contain Sharepoint online list?

If so, go to Dataset Settings of this dataset, enter credential for the data source. Now you can turn on schedule refresh: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-scheduled-refresh

10.png11.png

Best Regards

Maggie

Hello Maggie, thanks for your answer.

Maybe I didn't explain this correctly.

In PWA you will have a site for each project. I want to create a data model that contains SharePoint lists in those sites.

I can create the data model with current projects, but what if a new project is added? I would need to modify the data model to include this new site and repeat every time someone adds a project.

I need PowerBI to read the site collection the way it reads a local folder with Excel files. Is that possible?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anybody please have the answer to this? How do i pull data from the project sites in project online?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.