Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Get data from Power BI Datasets

We are trying to develop IT Managed BI strategy for our client, and we would like to leverage Datasets as a source of data for multiple reports.

While currently, we do have restriction of report & dataset needed in the same App Workspace, but going forward we believe that will be eliminated as per Power BI new features.

Now for the moment, we are validating some of the scenarios to identify the Pro and Premium requirement for the above strategy, and would like to know :

When can published Dataset be loaded in Power BI Desktop (through Get Data) ?

1. a) Premium App Workspace
  2. b) Shared App Workspace                                       
  3. c) Pro User from App Workspace
  4. d) Free user from App Workspace (NOTE: Free User cannot join App Workspace inside PBI Service)
  5. e) Edit permission for Pro/Free members in App Workspace
  6. f) View permission for Pro/Free members in App Workspace (NOTE:  Member cannot see dataset inside App Workspace inside PBI Service)

We are able to have a Power BI Free user Get Data from a shared App Workspace through Power BI Desktop, even when the App Workspace is marked as "Members can view-only".

Is this a valid and permittable activity ? Do you also leverage this ? 

We have a lot of key decisions depending on this. Please advise.

8 REPLIES 8
v-juanli-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous

Please refer to this article which indicates the difference among pro,free and premium.

in your scenario, there are two methods:

you and your users are all pro and you are in the same organization.

1) you create a report using power bi desktop 

2) you create an App workplace, add your users as members and give them edit permission

3)publish report from power bi desktop to service

4)your users could use power bi desktop->get data->power bi dataset, select the app workplace and the dataset inside.

2. you are premium,  your users are free,  and you are in the same organization.

Assign the app workspace to Power BI Premium capacity enables the user to use the app without requiring a Power BI Pro license.

If you and your users are not in the same organization, please refer to this article which illustrates how to let guest users outside your organization to see your power bi contents.

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Please suggest if following is a valid scenario.

1. I have a Pro license.
  2. I create an App Workspace (in Premium or Shared Capacity) = AP1, with "members can view only" settings
  3. I publish Power BI report to this App Workspace, 1 Power BI dataset (DS1) and 1 report are created.
  4. I add business-users in this App Workspace. Business users do NOT have Pro license.
  5. Business users cannot open the App Workspace from Power BI Service.
  6. Business users access Power BI Desktop and use Get Data > Power BI Dataset
  7. Business users are able to see the App Workspace AP1 and also the dataset DS1 inside Power BI Desktop > Get Data
  8. Business users can create visualizations in their Power BI Desktop and do self service BI using Power BI Desktop

If this is a valid scenario, it is a big push for our self service initiative. We will eliminate the need to create SSAS cubes (which is an alternative we have thought of)

You may replicate this at your end.  Please check and let me know. 

Hi @Anonymous

As tested, i modify as below

1. I have a Pro license.  
  2. I create an App Workspace (in Premium or Shared Capacity) = AP1, with "members can view only" settings
  3. I publish Power BI report to this App Workspace, 1 Power BI dataset (DS1) and 1 report are created.
  4. I add business-users in this App Workspace. Business users do NOT have Pro license.
  5. Business users cannot   can open the App Workspace from Power BI Service.
  6. Business users access Power BI Desktop and use Get Data > Power BI Dataset
  7. Business users are able to see the App Workspace AP1 and also the dataset DS1 inside Power BI Desktop > Get Data
  8. Business users can create visualizations in their Power BI Desktop and do self service BI using Power BI Desktop(some limitations here, see link).

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

The steps I mentioned work very well, and therefore not in line with Microsoft documentation.

I disagree on below

1. It works with Shared Capacity.
  2. Business Users cannot open the App Workspace since they do NOT have Pro license.
  3. BUT they can still access the dataset from Power BI Desktop.

The very first limitation from the shared link is : 

• Read-only members of a workspace cannot connect to datasets from Power BI Desktop

However, this does not hold true. Read-only members are able to connect to datasets from Power BI Desktop.

May be I will rephrase my question:

I would like to know whether the scenario is a legal and valid one or a bug which is expected to be changed in future.

There are also new features coming around the shared datasets (outside the App Workspace), so a lot may change real soon!

This is important for us to decide strategy for organization wide self service adoption.

Hi @Anonymous

I understand the steps above step by step, so all steps i modified is based on that app workplace is in the Premium capacity.

"It works with Shared Capacity."

I say It works with Premium capacity instead of  Shared Capacity, means your users doesn't need pro in this way.

according to this article, when App workspaces in shared capacity, Any app usage requires a Pro license.

"Business Users cannot open the App Workspace since they do NOT have Pro license."

If the app workplace is in the Premium capacity, even a free user can open the app workplace.

"

The very first limitation from the shared link is : 

• Read-only members of a workspace cannot connect to datasets from Power BI Desktop"

I am also confuzed by this, i am consulting and going to report this to confirm whether it is a bug or a change.

I will update as soon as possible.

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Maggie,

Please find below my responses! We have tried a lot of combinations and validated them. Some of the steps, which work very well in reality, are invalid as per documents or licensing terms.

We would like validation of the same, or advise from expert developers for the same.

"I say It works with Premium capacity instead of  Shared Capacity, means your users doesn't need pro in this way." - No, it works very well with Shared Capacity as well. Please check.

"When App workspaces in shared capacity, Any app usage requires a Pro license." - Yes, agreed. Users need Pro license to open the App Workspace in Power BI Service. But they still are able to access the datasets (of the shared workspace) from Power BI Desktop.  Is this a bug or expected behavior ?

"If the app workplace is in the Premium capacity, even a free user can open the app workplace." - No, this is not true. Even with Premium workspace, Free users cannot open App Workspace. They can only access the reports (of this Premium workspace) which are shared explicitly with them. Please check.

These points can be validated.

Hi @Anonymous

For this problem,

"as this official article said, Read-only members of a workspace cannot connect to datasets from Power BI Desktop.

But in your scenario, Read-only members of a workspace can connect to datasets from Power BI Desktop."

Could you kindly share the fiddler file with use for further support?

downlaod fidder here,

run fiddler with below option enabled and repeat steps to reproduce the issue, share .saz file with us. 

Fiddler.PNG

Best Regards

Maggie

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your update Maggie,

I will not be able to provide fiddlr trace. I have given sufficient steps and information above which are necessary to replicate the behavior by anyone. We have tried this with at least three users and four machines, it replicates easily.

Request you to take the lead and proceed as per the info available.

As such for our requirement, Power BI Datasets will not be useful for us, and SSAS will be a right solution for us, again requiring added infrastructure investment and maintenance. Sigh!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.