Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tobiasnygren
Resolver I
Resolver I

Get data from Analysis Services or Power Bi dataset

I have noticed the new feature get data from "Power BI datasets".
We are developing centralized reports and alot of users want to copy our centralized reports and work with them.
What I have seen is when we use get data from "Power BI dataset" a new dataset will not be created if we copy an existing report and save it with another name, thats good.

So I'm wondering if you recommend to change our reports

to get data from "Analysis Services" to use datasets instead?

What is the advantages/disadvantages?

And is it possible to convert a report to get data from dataset instead of "Analysis Services"?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @tobiasnygren ,

Actually, getting data from power bi datasat is similar to that getting data from Analysis Services, both of the connectors are using live connection.

I think you should consider the limitations of each way before using it.

Limitations for Power BI Dataset

Limitations for Analysis Service

In addition, I think you should choose the data connector based on your scenario and your requirement.

If you want to create the mutiple different report based on the same dataset in one shared appworkspace, I think the power bi dataset connector will be the better choice.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @tobiasnygren ,

Have you solved your problem?

If you have solved, please always accept the replies making sense as solution to your question so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If you still need help, please free to ask.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @tobiasnygren ,

Actually, getting data from power bi datasat is similar to that getting data from Analysis Services, both of the connectors are using live connection.

I think you should consider the limitations of each way before using it.

Limitations for Power BI Dataset

Limitations for Analysis Service

In addition, I think you should choose the data connector based on your scenario and your requirement.

If you want to create the mutiple different report based on the same dataset in one shared appworkspace, I think the power bi dataset connector will be the better choice.

Best Regards,

Cherry

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.