Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Get data & calculate values in rows without applying UnPivot command

Hi PBI Experts,

I have a large & complex data set which is cumbersome to UnPivot.

Why no UnPivot - I tried splitting the table to unpivot, then Unpivot them and later join them all, however, not getting correct values in Joined table.

The following first table is "INPUT" table (simplfied table for this question, but I have amany columns which I need in Output).

Please note that : - Region "Americas, Africa, Middle_East, India, APAC & Europe" are fixed regions & no scope of adding any more region.

IN PUT         
1ABCDEFGHIJ
2CustomerProductCommission valueAmericasAfricaMiddle_EastIndiaAPACEuropeTotal%
3Apple InciPhone10000030%0%10%10%20%30%100%
4MicrosoftOffice36520000030%2%3%30%30%5%100%

INPUT File in PBIX format is uploaded here --> https://www.dropbox.com/s/9p1g58iox1tqx80/Calculate_SANS_Unpivot.pbix?dl=0

And what I need is the following table as "Output"

wherein Column "A & B" is copied & then Region names are populated in rows + commission value is calculated with their respective % (the last column is just the input table cell reference showing how the regional commission value was calculated. Als in this example for Apple Inc, "Africa" region is missing because Input table has "Zero %" in cell E4.

As I mentioned earlier that the "Region" --> "Americas, Africa, Middle_East, India, APAC & Europe" are fixed values & no scope of adding any more region - So I can create a table of "Region" but I don't know of any option / DAX function to get calculated following Output without "UNPIVOT" perfomed.

CustomerProductRegionCommission valueInput Table reference
Apple InciPhoneAmericas                           30,000-- > C3* D 3
Apple InciPhoneMiddle_East                           10,000-- > C3* F 3
Apple InciPhoneIndia                           10,000-- > C3* G 3
Apple InciPhoneAPAC                           20,000-- > C3* H 3
Apple InciPhoneEurope                           30,000-- > C3* I 3
MicrosoftOffice365Americas                           60,000-- > C4* D 3
MicrosoftOffice365Africa                             4,000-- > C4* E 3
MicrosoftOffice365Middle_East                             6,000-- > C4* F 3
MicrosoftOffice365India                           60,000-- > C4* G 3
MicrosoftOffice365APAC                           60,000-- > C4* H 3
MicrosoftOffice365Europe                           10,000-- > C4* I 3

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mariusz 

My colleague said that "Unpivot" has been done in the M Code that you shared + created a column for calculated value,

I want to avoid that unpivot since my actual data is huge with many columns / rows & I will end up performing many unpivots & then that join function of multi talbes is too complex to perform & I am unsucceful joining.

What I need is that I have a fixed "region" values as of now and that PBI does the commission calculation in same output format as if UnPivot was performed.

Waiting for a solution.

Thanks,

Chandan

Mariusz
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

Please see the below M code that returns your desired result, you can copy it all and paste it in the newly created Blank Query's Advanced Editor.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WciwoyElV8MxLVtJRygzIyM9LBTIMDUAAyDA20DMwUAUyYLQhBsMIxjBGSAGpWJ1oJd/M5KL84vy0EqCgf1paZnKqsZkpWAu68UYwM9DNgjNMUQyPBQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Customer = _t, Product = _t, #"Commission value" = _t, Americas = _t, Africa = _t, Middle_East = _t, India = _t, APAC = _t, Europe = _t, #"Total%" = _t]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Customer", type text}, {"Product", type text}, {"Commission value", Int64.Type}, {"Americas", Percentage.Type}, {"Africa", Percentage.Type}, {"Middle_East", Percentage.Type}, {"India", Percentage.Type}, {"APAC", Percentage.Type}, {"Europe", Percentage.Type}, {"Total%", Percentage.Type}}),
    #"Unpivoted Columns" = Table.UnpivotOtherColumns(#"Changed Type", {"Customer", "Product", "Commission value", "Total%"}, "Attribute", "Value"),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Unpivoted Columns", "Custom", each [Value] * [Commission value]),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom",{{"Custom", Int64.Type}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Let me know if it worked for you. 

Best Regards,
Mariusz

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution.

Please feel free to connect with me.
Mariusz Repczynski

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Mariusz 

Can you please also upload the PBIX file with your MCode for me to understand better ?

I am not a PBI expert 🙂

Thanks,

Chandan.

Hi @Anonymous 

No problem see the below.

https://drive.google.com/fi0le/d/1aPwdy0pWpnE0JbK_UzR_Jokju03iGkmO/view?usp=sharing

let me know if you need anything else.

Best Regards,
Mariusz

Please feel free to connect with me.
Mariusz Repczynski

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.