Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mrichardsPGS

Get data - SharePoint online list - From a Subsite

Hi all,

I am a newbie here so apologies if I am missing something obvious.

I would like to connect to a list on our company SharePoint site that is actually contained within a subsite.

I have no problem accessing lists within the main site, but I constantly get the following error when trying to connect to a subsite. See images below.

Are there any known issues in connecting to subsites in SharePoint?

I think from my limited reserach that it is not even possible to connect to a SharePoint list in PowerBI online?

Thanks in advance for your help, Marc.

Subsite address:

PBI2.PNG

Error message trying to connect to subsite:

PBI1.PNG

main site address:

PBI3.PNG

no issue connecting to main site adress:

PBI4.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @mrichardsPGS 

I can't reproduce your problem .  It works well in my PowerBi.

x2.png

11.png

It's important  to  configure  that your  account have access to the SharePoint subsite  not just home page first.

(Configure by taking a try to access the  resources of sharepoint subsite  directly in website )

(If not ,share the website or edit site permissions in " sharepoint site setting" )

12.png

And then you can take a try to clear your permissions and re-sign in your  account as belows.

8.png

a1.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @mrichardsPGS 

I can't reproduce your problem .  It works well in my PowerBi.

x2.png

11.png

It's important  to  configure  that your  account have access to the SharePoint subsite  not just home page first.

(Configure by taking a try to access the  resources of sharepoint subsite  directly in website )

(If not ,share the website or edit site permissions in " sharepoint site setting" )

12.png

And then you can take a try to clear your permissions and re-sign in your  account as belows.

8.png

a1.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Eason,

Thanks. Clearing the data source permissions was what I needed to do!

Not sure why I was having the issue, but now anytime I try to connect to the subsite there is no longer an error message and my list is visble.

Thanks 🙂

Marc

I suspect you selected Anonymous access when you connected to the list. Check out the video in this blog post to ensure you did all the steps. https://marqueeinsights.com/how-to-data-mine-a-sharepoint-list-with-power-bi/

Hope this helps!

--Treb, Power BI MVP

Hi trebgate,

thanks for the link.

I have actually already logged in as you describe in the video. And it seems to be sucessful as I can access lists from a site with address, sharepoint.com/sites/QHSE, the issue is I get the error when I try to access a subsite of QHSE, sharepoint.com/sites/QHSE/lessons. 

there was a step in the video where you pick out where you want to login after entering the microsoft account details and I cannot remember what I entered here. Would you need to slect the site or subsite you want to connect to do you think?

Anyway I cannot seem to get back to this option window anymore. I have logged out of PBI but it no longer pops up the window to ask me to choose between Anonymous/Windows/Microsft. Any idea how to force this window to pop back up so I can confirm the details I entered?

Cheers, Marc

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.