Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Aspevoll
Regular Visitor

Get correct week number at new year, week 52, 53 or 1

Worked out a solution to calulate correct weeknumber around new year.

The week where January 1st is on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday og Thursday is week number 1.

The field "dato" (Norwegian) is my date field. 

I'm padding with leading a zero so I can sort in the reports.

If calculation of week number is 53, then if DayOfWeek is Monday(0), Tuesday(1) or Wednesday(2), the correct week number is 1, otherwise it is 53.

If calculation of week number is 0, then the correct week number is 1.

If not calculation of week number is 53 nor 0, it is somthing in between and the result of calculation can be used as the correct week number.

Week number.PNG

if Number.RoundDown((10+Date.DayOfYear([Dato])-Date.DayOfWeek([Dato])+1)/7)=53
then if(Date.DayOfWeek([Dato])<3)
then "01" else "53"
else if
Number.RoundDown((10+Date.DayOfYear([Dato])-Date.DayOfWeek([Dato])+1)/7)=0
then "01" else
Text.PadStart(Text.From(Number.RoundDown((10+Date.DayOfYear([Dato])-Date.DayOfWeek([Dato])+1)/7)),2,"0")

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just as a follow up on this, if you are trying to get ISO week No in DAX, then use WEEKNUM([Date],21). 21 is the important argument for generating the ISO week.

If you are trying to generate ISO week in Power Query, then here are some resources

//Source: Curbal https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/The-quot-only-quot-Power-BI-calendar-you-will-ever-n...
//Created Custom function for retrieving ISO Week Number https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUVu64cpcDc

v-kelly-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Aspevoll ,

What is the problem?What is your expected result?

Best Regards,
Kelly

Hi, the problem is that PowerBi calculates wrongly around new year. This list of dates are the days of week number 1, just look it up in any calendar. Anyways, the table below shows the result of PowerBi's (and Excel's) Date.WeekOfYear- or WeekNum-functions, considering weeks to start on Mondays.

30.12.2019 53
31.12.2019 53
01.01.2020 1
02.01.2020 1
03.01.2020 1
04.01.2020 1
05.01.2020 1

My Outlook (locale=Norway/Europe) find alle these dates to be in week 1, so does Excel's "ISOWEEKNUM", but I haven't found this function available in PowerBi - and that's why I have made this custom calculation.

I hope you asked in order to help getting it fixed in PowerBI, @v-kelly-msft ! 🙂

BR, Audun

There is also another workaround to this; if you have your data in Excel or MS SQL, prepare the week number by the functions ISOWEEK(Date) or DATEPART(ISO_WEEK, Date).

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.