Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Pbiuserr
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Get a category name with minimum value

Hello, 

The measure down below shows how to get category name with maximum value

CALCULATE(
MAX(Fct_Table[Category]),
TOPN(1, FILTER(
SUMMARIZE ( Fct_Table, Fct_Table[Gender], Fct_Table[Category],
"@HC", [Change]), Fct_Table[Gender] = "Female"),
[Change])
)

however I wanted to retrive MIN value. Changed MAX(Fct_Table[Category]) to MIN(Fct_Table[Category]), tried to make TOPN1 DESC/ASC nothing works

Any suggestions?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Pbiuserr TRy this Measure

MINX ( SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[GroupBy] , "Measure1",[YourMeasure] ), [Measure1])

Else refer this accepted solution:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Return-a-category-name-associated-with-a-minimum-value/m-p/...

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
krohitrao
Regular Visitor

1. Create a measure for getting max of the change:
    MaxChange = CALCULATE(MAX(Fct_Table[Change]), ALL(Fact_Table))
2. Create another measure to get the category with max change:
    MaxCategory = CALCULATE(MAX(Fct_Table[Category]), FILTER(Fact_Table, Fct_Table[Change] = [MaxChange]))

Same goes with finding minimum category, create another set of measures and replace MAX with MIN

Yes but the table in this scenario must consist Fct_Table[Gender] and Fct_Table[Category] and its need to be sorted by [Change] measure. Can you help me build such measure?

Edit: Change is not a Fct_Table[Change], its a measure

rohit_singh
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hello @Pbiuserr ,

Could you please share sample data in text format along with expected output if possible?

Kind regards,

Rohit

Hey,
Sory, data is confidential unfortunately

Expected result is:

You have a table like (I've made it inside the measure)

GenderCategoryChange
MaleCategory2 10%
FemaleCategory1 2%
FemaleCategory5 3%
MaleCategory3 7%

from that I want retrive name of Category1 as its MIN [Change] (2%). The measure I've put will retrived Category2 as its MAX [Change] (10%). I can make it for MAX but can't for MIN and seek some help

Hi @Pbiuserr ,

Please try creating the following measures :

Min Change =

var _min =
CALCULATE(
MIN(Gender[Change]),
FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Gender), Gender[Gender] = "Female"
)
)

var _category =
CALCULATE(
VALUES(Gender[Category]),
FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Gender), Gender[Gender] = "Female" && Gender[Change] = _min
)
)
RETURN
_category

Max Change =

var _max =
CALCULATE(
MAX(Gender[Change]),
FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Gender), Gender[Gender] = "Female"
)
)

var _category =
CALCULATE(
FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Gender), Gender[Gender] = "Female" && Gender[Change] = _max
)
)
RETURN
_category

Final output
rohit_singh_0-1652791874655.png

Kind regards,

Rohit

Please mark this answer as the solution if it resolves your issue.
Appreciate your kudos! 😊

Hello, 
[Change] Is a measure, not a column and MIN needs a column reference. How to overcome it?

I have two columns:

Fct_Table [Category]

Fct_Table [Gender]

and one measure

[Change]

Hello @Pbiuserr ,

In that case you will have to use the MAXX and MINX functions to calculate max and min values of change. 

I have assumed that you have a single measure named "__Change" that computes the change. 

__MaxChange =

var _max =
MAXX(
FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Gender),
Gender[Gender] = "Female"),
[__Change]
)

var _category =
CALCULATE(
FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Gender), Gender[Gender] = "Female" && Gender[Change] = _max
)
)
RETURN
_category

__MinChange =

var _min =
MINX(
FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Gender),
Gender[Gender] = "Female"),
[__Change]
)

var _category =
CALCULATE(
FILTER(ALLSELECTED(Gender), Gender[Gender] = "Female" && Gender[Change] = _min
)
)
RETURN
_category

This gives you the following result
rohit_singh_0-1652803503497.png

Kind regards,

Rohit

Please mark this answer as the solution if it resolves your issue.
Appreciate your kudos! 😊

Hello,

There is Gender[Change], which in fact I can't put as a column, because its measure 😔
when I put [Change] instead of Gender[Change] I got an error that "table of multiple values was supplied". I think due to VALUES(FctTable[Category]) ?

@Pbiuserr TRy this Measure

MINX ( SUMMARIZE ( Table, Table[GroupBy] , "Measure1",[YourMeasure] ), [Measure1])

Else refer this accepted solution:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Return-a-category-name-associated-with-a-minimum-value/m-p/...

Don't forget to give thumbs up and accept this as a solution if it helped you!!!

Please take a quick glance at newly created dashboards : Restaurant Management Dashboard , HR Analytics Report , Hotel Management Report, Sales Analysis Report , Fortune 500 Companies Analysis , Revenue Tracking Dashboard

Hey,

What you've wrote gives me MIN value of [Change]. What I'd like to get it name of category associated with that minimum value. That's the part I can't get

so for my table is Category 1 as it has MIN value of [Change] - 2%

@Pbiuserr Try this measure:

Measure = MINX(SUMMARIZE(ALL('Table (2)'),'Table (2)'[Category],"Change_",MIN('Table (2)'[Change])),'Table (2)'[Category])
Capture.JPG

I have an error that MIN function accepts only column references in the Argument1
Could it be potentially because [Change] is measure, not a calculated column?

MINX(SUMMARIZE(ALL( Fct_Table), Fct_Table[Gender], Fct_Table[Category], "Change_",MIN([Change])), Fct_Table[Category])

i'd also want to filter it to be for "female" gender only, that why I wanted to make my working measure for MAX just amend somehow to working on MIN

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.