Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

scheung

Get 'We cannot apply field access to the type Number.' when a new column transform value

Hi,

I want to create a new column in my PowerBI data table, which is calling 'TextEncoding.UTF of another column.

In the new column, I put this in the column forumla:

= TextEncoding.Utf8[Name]

But I get error 

Expression.Error: We cannot apply field access to the type Number.
Details:
Value=65001
Key=Name

The column is in not in type Number, it is in type Text.

4 REPLIES 4
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

If that is a function, the column needs to be wrapped in ( ).  It looks more like a parameter.  Is that to be used in the BinaryFormat.Text( ) function like BinaryFormat.Text([Name], TextEncoding.UTF8)?

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Thanks.  I tried using this as my Custom column formula:

BinaryFormat.Text([MyColumnName], TextEncoding.Utf8)

but i get this error now:

Expression.Error: We cannot convert the value "{MyColumnCell}..." to type Number.
Details:
Value={MyColumnCell}
Type=[Type]

Hi @scheung ,

Try this:

Text.FromBinary(Text.ToBinary([Column1]),TextEncoding.Utf8)

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your answer. Your formula works. But when I try that I still see non readable characters in some of the cell values in my data table.  I think those characters are non english characters (e.g. japanese characters). do you know how can I convert them so that i can display them correctly in PowerBI?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.