Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

amsrivas
Helper IV
Helper IV

Get-PowerBIWorkspace Power BI CMDLET commands

Hi Folks!!

I need to find the Power BI related data such as Workspace, Dataset, Dataflow, reports and Users of Power BI.

To achieve desired result, i have executed below commands in PowerShell

Get-PowerBIWorkspace -All | Fl *

Outpur of the above command having workspace detail however it also contain below columns but with no data.

• Reports
  • Dashboards      
  • Datasets            
  • Dataflows         
  • Workbooks

Please suggest how do we have values for these columns as well.

OR Is there any other way via which i can have detail of all these columns at one go.

Thanks

Amit Srivastava

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Yes. We are auditing our environment via that method, and it works well enough. You don't get page level report usage statistics, but that's the only drawback so far.  Ok, and you don't get XMLA endpoint access audits - but hopefully they add that soon.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Yes. We are auditing our environment via that method, and it works well enough. You don't get page level report usage statistics, but that's the only drawback so far.  Ok, and you don't get XMLA endpoint access audits - but hopefully they add that soon.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You still haven't explained why you want to do that. What you describe is tenant admin territory. Are you a tenant admin? Do you have access to the tenant audit logs?

Hi @lbendlin 

I'm Power Bi Service admin on the tenant, but not Global Admin on the tenant.
Are you talking about O365 audit logs, if yes, i dont have access on that.

Thanks
Amit

Talk to your O364 tenant admin to give you selective access to the PowerBI specific audit logs.

Hi @lbendlin 

Just a question, if i will have access on Audit Logs, then would i able to acheive my results.

Thanks

Amit Srivastava

Hi @amsrivas ,

If you want to get the activity log, please refer to the links.

Activity log requirements 

Access the Power BI activity log 

Or you can refer to the blog to get what you want.

Get data from Power BI service with PowerShell Cmdlets | by Guilherme Matheus | Medium

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Powershell calls return objects. You can then drill into the individual objects to get their properties. What will be really hard is to put all of that into one flat table. How should that even look like?  Better get the individual attributes as needed. 

Hi @lbendlin ,

What i am not able to uderstand is WHY no data is available for below columns using Get-PowerBIWorkspace -All | Fl *

• Reports
  • Dashboards      
  • Datasets            
  • Dataflows         
  • Workbooks

Also, how to retreive data for individuals object and make a relationship between them.

Also, I have noticed if i am using any command to retreive data while passing parameter, it got failed after 200 records , a sort of limitation.

Please suggest how to accomplish my requirement.

My requirement is : To have complete data for Power BI that include workspace, dataflows, datasets , reports , user etc and if individual sets, then there must be relationship between them.

Thanks

Amit 

What are you actually trying to achieve? Do you want to document/audit your tenant?

Hi @lbendlin 

I want to create a Power BI report in which i can track complate detail of Power BI Report such as 

Workspace -> Dataflow -> Dataset -> Report -> Users etc.

To acheive above requirement, i need data at the backend.

Thanks

Amit

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.