Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Get Line series in Line and Clustered Column Chart

Hi!

I have a Line and Clustered Column Chart where I show Total Units Sold (column values) and Avg Sale (line values). I have a year series to allow comparison from 2013 to 2017-forward.

image.png

To be able to get my different series, I have a calculated column for each year. The thing is, I do not want to have to come back to my report on January 1st 2018 (and 2019, and 2020...) to create a new column. 

For the columns, it is easy as I simply need to drag the "year" field into Column Series.

Any idea on how can I get a Line Series for my report?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Could you please mark the proper answer as solution or share the solution if it's convenient for you? That will be a big help to the others.

Best Regards!
Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-jiascu-msft

Thank you for your answer. The goal of my request was to avoid to have to write custom dimensions for each year, as I do not want to have to come back to modify the file every year to add the new dimensions.

For the Total Sales, it is easy as I just have to have [Total Sales] in the Column values field, and [Year] in the Column series field. I wanted to know if I could get something similar for the [Average Sale] in the Line values field.

I guess this is an enhancement idea. Thanks!

v-jiascu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Why not using a measure? If you have separate tables for every year, you can try a measure like this:

2018 Avg Sales = average('Sales2018'[Amount])

If your data is in one big table, you can try a measure like this:

2018 Avg Sales =
CALCULATE ( AVERAGE ( 'Sales'[Amount] ), YEAR ( 'Calendar'[date] ) = 2018 )

Best Regards!

Dale

Community Support Team _ Dale
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.