Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Get First and Last Values from Table

I was wondering if someone would help me with the following.

I have a table that has got Dates and the Amount.

What I want to return is the first and last date, with the corresponding (or associated) amount. This could potentially be the first and last values, instead of the dates.

I know that you can potentially do this with the filters, but it is taking a really long time to run.

thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi there

Thanks for that what I did was the following solution which worked for me due to having using a Date Table, which ensured that I got the last actual value and first actual value.

Sales YOY - First Date = CALCULATE([Sales],FIRSTNONBLANK('Date'[Fiscal Year],'Sales Year on Year'[TSales]))

Sales YOY - Last Date = CALCULATE([Sales],LASTNONBLANK('Date'[Fiscal Year],'Sales Year on Year'[TSales]))

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @GilbertQ

I suppose that your dataset contains large data which makes it spend much time to filter. But it seems that using filter to fetch the records corresponding to the first and last date is the only option currently. Based on my research, I cannot find any solution to improve the performance of running filter.

I think you can create a calculate table that contains only the first and last date with the corresponding amount like a cache so that you don't need to run the filter each time.

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi there

thanks for that I will see what i can do.

Power BI Blog

@GilbertQ

you can try with:

FirstDate-Value = CALCULATE(VALUES(Table1[Value]),FIRSTDATE(Table1[Date]))

LastDate-Value = CALCULATE(VALUES(Table1[Value]),LASTDATE(Table1[Date]))

Lima - Peru

Hi there

Thanks for that what I did was the following solution which worked for me due to having using a Date Table, which ensured that I got the last actual value and first actual value.

Sales YOY - First Date = CALCULATE([Sales],FIRSTNONBLANK('Date'[Fiscal Year],'Sales Year on Year'[TSales]))

Sales YOY - Last Date = CALCULATE([Sales],LASTNONBLANK('Date'[Fiscal Year],'Sales Year on Year'[TSales]))

Power BI Blog

Habib
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Filter seems the only option as you need to get the first/last date and then use filter to get the amount for that specific date.

Thanks, I was hoping for a solution with a function!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.