Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ironryan77
Advocate II
Advocate II

Get Data using Streaming Data API

I want to create streaming datasets for our Power BI reports or dashboards.  But rather than use Azure or PubNub, I want to use the built-in API:

APIAPI

But every time I create this streaming dataset, when I try to use it as a source for my Power BI Dashboard, the visual appears empty:

empty visual.jpg

Why is it empty?  Is the problem that now I have to push this streaming dataset to Power BI?  I am confused because some of the posts I have read have said that the API can only do basic functionality like add table rows.  I want to be able to make my dashboard real-time.  But I want to do this with minimum development time. 

7 REPLIES 7
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

Hi @ironryan77,

Have you posted any data to it?

You will need to build or configure something to send data to the API.  This can be as simple as a console app.  Once you start posting data to your API endpoint, data will appear in your tiles.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ironryan77

Have you checked the blog about how to use API to create streaming dataset?  The columns you use in dashboard tile should also be created in your application, and the Push URL of your dataset should be used in your application.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Which version of Visual Studio was this sample from the blog developed on? I'm using VS 2010 and when I try to open the SOLN or PROJ file it says:
This project is incompatible with the current version of Visual Studio.

Hi @ironryan77,

I am using VS2015. As other post, if you use API and want to create a real-time dashabord, you would need to create a simple console app to send data to your API , which is sampled in the above blog.

However, if you want to use PubNub, you can follow the instructions in this blog.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks that's cool but if I use pubnub can I use a SQL table instead of JSON?
The problem is I have a power bi dashboard develops on SQL tables that I want to make real time. I don't have Json data though and your example blog is referencing external Json data. Is it possible to transform my SQL into Json?

Hi @ironryan77,

JSON is the native format PubNub communicates in, I am afraid that you are not able to directly use SQL table in PubNub. Please contact PubNub support to get dedicated support about this issue.

In addition, you can convert SQL table to JSON following the guide in the article and blog below.
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn921882.aspx
https://www.simple-talk.com/blogs/sql-server-json-to-table-and-table-to-json/ 

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Is it possible to create a Power BI streaming data report without creating an application?  Like what if I use PubNub?  And if I use API do I have to create a VS application for it?  I was hoping that I could convert my SQL table into JSON directly and use this as a datasource, rather than developing an application for it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.