Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JoeChamp
Frequent Visitor

Get Data - strip out part of text

When I’m in Power BI and Edit data source, I want to add a column referencing another and stripping only a piece of that column, in this case I have a field 2016-01 where I want to strip out the 01 as a Month Column.  I add the Column and get to the formula screen.  A right formula doesn’t work, so I click learn more, which launches me to here

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Learn-about-Power-Query-formulas-6bc50988-022b-4799-a709-f8...

I then find the link to a reference of formulas, awesome! 

https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/Mt253322?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

But then I try a few (text.to, text.remove), and they don’t work, e.g. =text.remove([Cost_Plan_Year_Month],1,5), it indicates no syntax errors.

It errors out with this:

Expression Error:  The name 'text.remove' wasn't recognized.  Make sure it's spelled correctly

Is there a reference for formulas that will work with Power BI in the Get Data > Edit portion of the tool?

More specifically, what formula can I use to strip out the last two characters of this field?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey Joe.

Please make a note: 'M' language is Case Sensitive

Maxim Zelensky
excel-inside.pro

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hey Joe.

Please make a note: 'M' language is Case Sensitive

Maxim Zelensky
excel-inside.pro

Wow...I need coffee.  Never crossed my mind.  Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.