Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rrhascall
Helper II
Helper II

Get Data sources are greyed out (disabled) in desktop file

Hi all,

I have a .pbix file with one connection to a SQL Analysis Services cube.  I would like to adde a SQL Server table to the data model but all of the data sources under "Get Data" are disable.  Anyone know why this is and how to resolve?  I understand SSAS uses a direct query connection by default but I thought we were able to add other data sources to the model.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @rrhascall 

For SQL Analysis Services cube data source in power bi, it has two connect mode, 'Import' and 'Live connection'.

I understand SSAS uses a direct query connection by default 

This is wrong understanding of it.

'Live connection' is different with direct query, it is live connecting to a complete data model, not only query data from datasource into power bi, so all the modeling must be done in datasource(SQL Analysis Services cube), you could only create report level measure in live connection, so all other modeling is not available in power bi desktop for this connect mode.

If you want to adde a SQL Server table to the data model, there two way:

1. add this SQL Server table to SQL Analysis Services cube and modeling in there.

2. use import mode to load data from SQL Analysis Services cube into power bi and then modeling in power bi desktop.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi  @rrhascall 

For SQL Analysis Services cube data source in power bi, it has two connect mode, 'Import' and 'Live connection'.

I understand SSAS uses a direct query connection by default 

This is wrong understanding of it.

'Live connection' is different with direct query, it is live connecting to a complete data model, not only query data from datasource into power bi, so all the modeling must be done in datasource(SQL Analysis Services cube), you could only create report level measure in live connection, so all other modeling is not available in power bi desktop for this connect mode.

If you want to adde a SQL Server table to the data model, there two way:

1. add this SQL Server table to SQL Analysis Services cube and modeling in there.

2. use import mode to load data from SQL Analysis Services cube into power bi and then modeling in power bi desktop.

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you Lin!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@rrhascall , I think in case SQL Analysis Services only one connection is allowed.

refer: https://radacad.com/live-connection-when-power-bi-comes-hybrid

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.