Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Get Data is greyed out

I haev a dashboard with 2 data sources on Sharepoint Folders. refreshes OK . I do not see the Data and Datamodel tabs on the left side. When I want to add a third data source, Get Data is greyed out. How do I regain ownership of the dashboard?

5 REPLIES 5
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous ,

Have you connected to some data source in live connection mode? Could you clarify more details?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have replied three times to this thread, each time the message is not recorded.

The issue is that PBI desktop considers connectsion to PBIU Service datasets to be LIVE connections,m whereas the PBI datasets are not LIVE, they are excel sheets in Sharepoint folders on an ourly update. that is not LIVE.

I do not have a work-around. 

It is a severe limitation of the toolset, that it cannot recognize the correct configuration of data sources.

So a "LIVE" connection really just means that the data is stored else where it is not really a reflection of how often the data is updated.

If I'm guessing correctly you probably have a situation like the following

Report2.pbix   ==(live connection)==>  Report1.pbix  ==(import)==> Excel sheets in Sharepoint

If you edit Report2 you will not see any data or relationships tabs and Get Data will be greyed out. However If you open Report1 you will then be able to access Get Data and add a new data source and when you go back and open Report2 you will see the new data there automatically (that is why the connection is called a "live" connection)

Hi @Anonymous 

As mentioned above it sounds like the Report you're working on was created using a Live connection to an existing Power BI dataset.

To add another data source, you'll have to get the .pbix file for the original report dataset and edit/republish there.

In the Workspace go to Datasets, then download the .pbix file from the relevant one.

Cheers,

Matt

2019-09-12_8-30-07.png

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

I do not see the Data and Datamodel tabs on the left side. When I want to add a third data source, Get Data is greyed out. 

This implies that the report you are looking at is in "Live Connection" mode reading data from another data model. You need to go back to the original data model/report and add your other tables there.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.