cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GLKSA Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Get Data is greyed out

I haev a dashboard with 2 data sources on Sharepoint Folders. refreshes OK . I do not see the Data and Datamodel tabs on the left side. When I want to add a third data source, Get Data is greyed out. How do I regain ownership of the dashboard?

5 REPLIES 5
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Get Data is greyed out

@GLKSA wrote:

I do not see the Data and Datamodel tabs on the left side. When I want to add a third data source, Get Data is greyed out. 

This implies that the report you are looking at is in "Live Connection" mode reading data from another data model. You need to go back to the original data model/report and add your other tables there.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

@GLKSA ,

Have you connected to some data source in live connection mode? Could you clarify more details?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

GLKSA Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

I have replied three times to this thread, each time the message is not recorded.

The issue is that PBI desktop considers connectsion to PBIU Service datasets to be LIVE connections,m whereas the PBI datasets are not LIVE, they are excel sheets in Sharepoint folders on an ourly update. that is not LIVE.

I do not have a work-around. 

It is a severe limitation of the toolset, that it cannot recognize the correct configuration of data sources.

mattneil Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Hi @GLKSA 

As mentioned above it sounds like the Report you're working on was created using a Live connection to an existing Power BI dataset.

To add another data source, you'll have to get the .pbix file for the original report dataset and edit/republish there.

In the Workspace go to Datasets, then download the .pbix file from the relevant one.

Cheers,

Matt

2019-09-12_8-30-07.png

Super User III
Super User III

So a "LIVE" connection really just means that the data is stored else where it is not really a reflection of how often the data is updated.

If I'm guessing correctly you probably have a situation like the following

Report2.pbix   ==(live connection)==>  Report1.pbix  ==(import)==> Excel sheets in Sharepoint

If you edit Report2 you will not see any data or relationships tabs and Get Data will be greyed out. However If you open Report1 you will then be able to access Get Data and add a new data source and when you go back and open Report2 you will see the new data there automatically (that is why the connection is called a "live" connection)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Exclusive LIVE Community Event #3 – Ask Arun Anything

Join us in the third Triple A event!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

Meet the 2020 Season 1 Power BI Super Users!

It’s the start of a new Super User season! Learn all about the new Super Users and brand-new tiered recognition system.

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

Super User Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're celebrating the start of the New Super User season with our first ever Super User 'Can You Solve These?' challenge.

Power BI Desktop Update - February 2020

Power BI Desktop Update - February 2020

We are super excited for our update this month, as we are releasing two of our top community requests!

Power Platform Online Conference

Power Platform Online Conference

Join us for the first ever Power Platform Online Conference!

Top Solution Authors