Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

I_NeedMorePower
Helper III
Helper III

Get Data >Oracle DB: getting "Recommended provider is not installed" warning even after installation

Hello power people! 

I want to get the data from an oracle DB, but once I choose it, I get this warning message:

"The recommended provider ('Oracle.DataAccess.Client') is not installed. You can continue with your current provider, however it has been deprecated and may not work properly."

I click on "Learn more" hyperlink which led me to this document page:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-connect-oracle-database#installing-the-oracle-clie...

I followed the instructions on this page and I installed the latest oracle ODAC package on my machine.

After installation was complete I went back to Power BI and clicked on "Get Data > Oracle DB" but I still get the same warning.

The package I installed: 64-bit ODAC 12.2c Release 1 (12.2.0.1.1) for Windows x64

NOTE*: I installed the ODAC package on my "D" drive part while the Power BI is installed on the "E" drive part. Is this what is causing the issue?

What should I do in order to have the recommended provider?

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@I_NeedMorePower ,

Please check if the bit version of ODAC matched power bi desktop.

For 32-bit versions of Power BI Desktop, use the following link to download and install the 32-bit Oracle client:

For 64-bit versions of Power BI Desktop, use the following link to download and install the 64-bit Oracle client:

Community Support Team _ Jimmy Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for your reply v-yuta-msft,

I did install the 64 bit. The power bi and my machine are 64 bit too.

So I don't think it's the case...

Did  you ever resolve this issue? I am having the same problem.

Hi eeurton,
Unfortunately no, I couldn't find a fix 😞
I just used another device which did not have this problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.