cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Prats
Frequent Visitor

Get Data from a PBIDS file

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a PBIDS file (as per the October release) to define a data source (SQL Server tables) which will prompt the user on Power BI Desktop, to connect to the data source specified in the PBIDS file. 

I have trouble accessing a particular schema or multiple objects - I want the user to have access only to a single schema or multiple objects. I get an error which says "Invalid Data Source" or I get the error - Details: "The key didn't match any rows in the table." if I use the file below (with proper database, schema & object names),

{ 
  “version”: “0.1”, 
  “connections”: [ 
    { 
      “details”: { 
        “protocol”: “tds”, 
        “address”: { 
          “server”: “server-name-here”, 
          “database”: “db-name-here”,
        "schema": "schema-name-here",
        "object": "[table1, table2, table3]"
        } 
      }, 
      “options”: {}, 
      “mode”: “Import” 
    } 
  ] 
} 
} 

However, if I remove multiple object names and use only one object name, or remove the schema & object names it works. 

Has anyone used this method before or know how I can define multiple SQL tables in a PBIDS file?

These links have examples of data source files - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-data-sources#using-pbids-files-to-get-data
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/azure/data-catalog/data-catalog-dsr#data-source-reference-specifica...

Any help will be appreciated! Thanks Smiley Happy

1 REPLY 1
ed-freeman
Helper II
Helper II

Hi there,

The original blog (and corresponding docs) say:

"The .PBIDS file does not include authentication information and table and schema information."

This might be why you can't get it to work. Interesting, though, that you're able to specify a single table to connect to, despite the above message.

Hope this is useful,

Ed

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

Power BI December 2021 Update_carousel 768x460.jpg

Check it Out!

Click here to read more about the December 2021 Updates!

Jan 2022 Dev Camp 768x460 copy.png

Power BI Dev Camp- January 27th, 2022

Mark your calendars and join us for our next Power BI Dev Camp!

Top Solution Authors